MPCNC - New Zealand

Just figured I’d show off my build here. Been working on it on and off for about a year, but it’s still not fully finished (can a project like this ever really be called ‘finished’? :slight_smile: ) I’ve already made plastic, aluminium, and wood chips with it, and quite satisfied with the results so far. I haven’t even really pushed the machine to its limits in any sense.

The biggest remaining thing is the table legs and electronics enclosure. I recently moved house hence why it’s sitting in some cardboard.

Specs: J Burly, 25.4 mm 304 stainless tubing, Makita spindle. Work volume: 270 x 270 x 70 mm.

Electronics: Mostly custom. I have a variable speed spindle which I can control from G-code. I’m using Grbl for the firmware and DRV8825 stepper drivers.

Total project cost: About $500 NZD, mainly because I was able to get a really good deal on a 2nd hand spindle. If I were to buy the spindle new, the cost would have been about $700 NZD.

My biggest fundamental issue with the MPCNC is that it’s hard to keep the belts from flexing, especially at the ends (these plastic cable ties, while strong, are fairly flexible, even when highly tensioned). I’ve been toying with the idea of replacing them at one end (or both ends!) with some thick steel wire. What is the community’s recommended method of fixing this problem?

Other than that, I really like the design!

4 Likes

Generally, keep the loops small. You can easily make one side basically zero sized, and use the other end for tension. If you use another zip tie around the bigger loop like a belt, you can make that end less springy.

There also some mods on thingiverse you can print to make the belts attach to plastic and adjust with screws.

Tension isn’t the same as rigidity. I’m not sure steel will help because at the tension we need, steel will be springy too.

If you use another zip tie around the bigger loop like a belt, you can make that end less springy.

That’s a good idea, I’ll give it a try.