MPCNC or LR2

Hi, I already built a LR2 which works perfectly accurate, but I’ve got some neighbour concerns about noise, so I’d like to know if an enclosed MPCNC of around 900x700 working area would be too large to stay on same accuracy as on LR2….it’s just an enclosure thing decision if you know what I mean. Thanks

buy your neighbor some ear protection, lol.

Without knowing your setup nor the acceptable noise levels you are trying to achieve a few things to consider…

1. At least in my setup the vac is far noisier than the router. Are you planning on doing way with it when you have the enclosure? If you are keeping it consider ways to quiet the vac.

2. Consider a quieter router. I know my makita clone is about half as loud as my dewalt.

3. Is there a way to quiet your shop? Insulated garage doors. Sound panels.

4. How loud is it outside your shop? My garage sounds like an aircraft taking off when the router and vac are going at he same time but the noise isn’t too bad on the other side of the door even just a few feet way. My wife and kids sleep through it and the are less than 20 feet away.

Just my $.02

My Primo is 940X635mm, and I sometimes get some odd jittering in the middle of the cut area caused by flexing gantry rails. I built an LR2 in order to gain work area so that I can make the Primo smaller (Though I haven’t actually done that yet.)

Both machines are using a Makita RT0701C router, and both are (unsurprisingly) about the same loudness. My shop vac is a big contributor to this.

If the working area of both machines is similar, then the enclosure size for both will be similar, and there’s no reasonable way that any extra size for the LR will cost more than building a Primo.

1 Like

Thanks, guys for the replies, I’m going to upgrade from LR2 to LR3, my idea is to build an enclosure for both the LR and the VAC. I now need some time to design a new table to do so and will use the LR2 to cut some of the parts needed. I will report back once I start the new build.

Cheers,

Àlex

1 Like