MPCNC Portable/Storable Build

I’m new here so you should know the basics;

1. I have absolutely no need for a CNC router beyond one address sign
  2. I have no space I can dedicate to a CNC router
    But, as the big orange store says “Let’s Do This”

In my working days I spent 25 years in an automotive prototype shop as a model maker and later as a program build manager. I was around CAD/CAM daily but I didn’t do either function. As a hobby I have played with Rhino 3d CAD for years and purchased a 3d Printer a year ago. I print a little from Thingiverse but mostly design and print items for the house. I considered a cheap 3018 CNC machine but the footprint is just a tad small for that address sign. I’ve noticed the MPCNC a few times but don’t have the space for it. I looked at the Worx wheelbarrel the previous homeowners left for us and got thinking. The top of the “barrel” is very flat and rigid. I set it up as in the picture and decided it might just work. The machine can hang on the wall when not in use. Kit is ordered from Ryan, printer is spitting out Primo parts and I’m designing my layout in Rhino. I just can’t help myself.

6 Likes

I’ve imported all Ryan’s beautiful Primo parts into Rhino. While those are printing I’ve played around with size and layout before cutting wood and tubing or screwing down the feet. It helps to avoid mistakes or even worse, changing my mind. For example, I had the Y axis centered on the 2x4 MDF shelving. When I moved the core with router center to maximums I found the workspace was at the edge of the MDF. I moved the feet in the +Y direction to center the workspace. Better now than in real life.

5 Likes

That is the first wheelbarrow table I’ve seen. Good idea.

I have seen Ryan say, “Make the mistakes in CAD or make them in real life” (paraphrasing). Totally true.

2 Likes

I like to do both!

6 Likes

Yes, I also do both mistakes often.
Decided on a slightly larger machine than the default in the calculator. 18.75" x 16.50" x 3.25" workspace or 480 x 420 x 83 mm. That puts the feet off the 2’ x 4’ shelf MDF. I attached the 1x3 primed fingerjoint board for the feet and left them long to protect the trucks and steppers if the unit is set on it’s side. I was careful with the 1x3 and it’s square. I made the template seen on the bottom left foot with pilot holes on one end and the locating pocket on the other to get feet as close as possible in wood. I’ll start cutting conduit this afternoon. You can see I’m doing assembly indoors. Even with global warming it’s a bit chilly for the garage in Michigan.

1 Like

Jeff,
The wheelbarrow may be a good idea until the wife wants to use it in her yard.

4 Likes

This should be a cool build, I can’t wait to see how this plays out! I think you will be fine and would only run into issue is if you were chasing ultimate precision.

I have a build in my office I carry around all the time, no issues with belt tension or anything.

Ryan,
Address sign precision is all I’m looking for. I don’t plan on T6 aluminum aerospace parts. Having fun with your elegant design. I worked at an automotive Design Center. I really appreciate your design skills and effort.

2 Likes

High praises, thank you so much. I could not even imagine all the talented people you must have worked with at a place like that.

(Now I want to rework it to show off all the new things I have learned)

3 Likes

Yeah i get the impression you’ll fit right in here.

Thanks, I’ll try to fit in. I’ll have to learn how to use the forum. I don’t normally do social media type things. I see in Post 1 I solved a problem I didn’t even know I had.

1 Like

Carter, have a look at my Portable Primo build.

One problem I can forsee with the wheelbarrow as a platform is a sore back from leaning over the machine. I put mine up on my workbench that is a bit above elbow height, when I am using it.

There are some cool jack lift designs out there, perhaps a good second project after that address sign.

2 Likes

I like the idea !
But don’t you worry that the feet not hanging off the table will end up sagging? The small plank that supports the feet may bend down quite quickly.
I think it would be good to reinforce it in a T with another strip of perpendicular plywood before to apply weight on it.

1 Like

Steve, nice build. In 2014 we retired, sold most of our “stuff” including the house and went on the road full time for 5 years. We decided to settle again but I’m trying to not accumulate too much “stuff”. My garage work bench is a Lifetime 2x4 foot folding table with an office chair. I don’t want more. The height of the machine will be fine sitting down. Good concern though. Thanks.

2 Likes

Olijouve, I suppose the finger joint pine could warp. I’m not sure how much in a 3" span. If it does it is easy to replace. Thanks

1 Like

I wish I knew what that feeling was like…I was looking at a press brake the other day for no good reason.

4 Likes

Ryan,
Living in a 350 square foot 5th wheel for 5 years gets you in that frame of mind. I had a real hard time putting in my Primo kit order last week. Don’t want more stuff but I’m bored sitting in one spot. By the way, I couldn’t believe how fast I got your kit. I ordered Thursday morning, you shipped Thursday afternoon and it was on my porch in Michigan Monday noon. Thanks, but now I’m going to have to stop bitching about the Post Office. I figured I’d have all my parts printed by the time it showed up after Christmas. Now I have to wait for my little Ender to spit out the trucks and core.

6 Likes

I have my first truck done and mounted on tubing. I’m wondering why the limit switches are mounted on the trucks instead of mounted on the rails. On the rails would have 8 less wires that require management to move. Haven’t been able to find an answer in the forums.

1 Like

My wiring harness has the wires in a ribbon cable with the stepper wires so in total you only need to rout 4 ribbons from the same point, instead of 4 ribbons from the steppers and then 4 wires from the corners.

4 Likes

Yes, I see that’s the simple way. I’m just worrying about getting the wiring neat way too early. I’ll use the method designed. Of course I’ll have to design some parts to implement the tape measure tricks. I like it to look simple but seldom do it that way.

1 Like