MPCNC Portable/Storable Build

On my last build, i ran all the wires but didn’t terminate any of them until the build and cable chains and everything were done. I also tried harder than my other builds, but I think that helped neatness for me.

1 Like

I’m a bit OCD about planning ahead. I’ve been having printing quality issues and spent the last few days running truck prints that fail. Gives me lots of time to play with design. Maybe I can save a few “Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda” events.

1 Like

Christmas day and it’s 50° in Michigan, Good day to cut the EMT. I think I have my print quality problem figured out. Maintenance man has been goofing off. I scolded myself, tightened, adjusted and upgraded the Ender. Half a truck print this morning looks much better. I only wasted 3 days and a half spool of filament.
Head for the garage with my measurements.

2 Likes

I worked in the sheet metal industry for many years and dang it, I find a need for a press brake all the time. I usually beat the metal over the end of my vise to get a 90 degree angle or use a pair of sheet metal tongs for up to 1 inch bends. I am building a wood heater right now and really could use a good brake to bend some metal. I may just go to my former place of work and beg to use their brake. I have not been there since 1984 but some of the guys I worked with still work there. Buying one is out of the question for me. I am retired and disabled, but I just have to keep working with building things, mechanical, wooden, electronic, solar. Anything to keep my mind from going down the rabbit hole. I am currently also building a 5.5 kilowatt battery to add to my solar system.

3 Likes

I forgot to mention that this is the reason I built the MPCNC. It works perfectly for my purposes which are wooden plaques. It is a very, very well designed machine and I toy with building the updated version, but old red just works so well.

1 Like

don’t give up

1 Like

Is getting messy the same as getting dirty?

Working on a 2x4 folding table has its limitations. Having tons of fun.

5 Likes

Close but no cigar! You are almost there!

1 Like

Great to see someone having fun with an “not so needed” Cnc… a lot like how my build went hehe. Unfortunately I also have no space for a Cnc… but it took 5x5 feet of floor space regardless. I have a lot of tools on dolly’s… my chop saw, tile saw, and table saw… none of those deserves to be ready at a moments notice vs the Cnc though. Once it’s cutting… projects will find there way to it trust me.

1 Like

Ryan, I don’t want to be close, this project has to last all winter. Printing my core now. Maybe I have my printer issues worked out. Hope so, have wasted enough time and filament. Followed your build instructions and the trucks slide slowly down conduit. Although if you rotate the conduit speed might change a little. That’s ok, it’s not round but much more round than I would expect for a dollar a foot. It will be fine for my purposes. No Aerospace here. Oh, I know nothing about programming the milling. I have lots to learn. That will take time.

5 Likes

Using will keep you plenty busy!

Yeah, you think you’re finishing up, but you’re just about to get started.

4 Likes

yeah…especially when people start asking you to do things for them when they see what you can do!

2 Likes

That will be awhile. Waiting for the last few parts to print so I installed EstlCam and started that learning process. I’m programming simple 2d and 3d files I create in Rhino. It will be a bit before I trust myself with more than a pen holder. I’m setting this up for a Makita 701 but I’ll probably make an adapter to hold my old Dremmel and mill some foam as Ryan suggests. Trying hard to do Baby Steps.

Hey I am building in Michigan also, very slowly though as garage is not insulated!

If you need anything let me know. I am in bay city if I can help.

1 Like

Thanks. My garage isn’t heated so I’m in no big hurry. I can run it as a plotter in my office. Bay City is half a mitten away. I’m on Grosse Ile.

1 Like

I wanted an easy to hit emergency stop. I got the switch from Ryan and the single outlet at a big box for $2.50. I had the three outlet adapter and power cord. I designed and printed the housing. It will screw down to the platform. I have most everything assembled and getting the urge to fire it up. I was going to wait until it was completely finished but I’m weak. Starting wiring this afternoon. I’ll be laughing or cussing by bedtime.

7 Likes

Love it!

I’m laughing. Used my panic button a few times getting things dialed in and learning what buttons to push (and more important, what not to push, like Z Home) Everything works fine. Started playing with a Sharpie and then a Bic Pen. Got this Crown after some program and pen mount tweaks.

7 Likes