MPCNC PRIMO: Arduino Mega2560 + ramps 1.6 + steppers DRV8825 + LCD 12864

A lot of those ideas were worked out when we didn’t have much experience with it. It may be a good time to revisit a lot of those decisions now that it isn’t new.

I would really like to have a short test procedure to run through to verify this stuff on future versions of Marlin. But that is pretty much out the question with the amount of time I spend on it.

So if I understand correctly, with the X2 and Y2 endstops disconnected and assuming they are configured for NC, then they would be always ‘triggered’. Then when homing, it would effectively treat X2 and Y2 as already having hit their target and X1 and Y1 are still looking for their endstops and the serial-wired X and Y axes will basically home as normal. This is interesting.

If soft stops were disabled for dual, I’m not sure what the disadvantage would be. Sure, people can crash into the ends, but they can already crash in the positive direction so I’m not sure what it protects. I suppose physically crashing into the endstop switches could damage the switches whereas crashing into the ends of travel is not as severe. Maybe we just need some crash-proof stop blocks that trigger the switch but act as a hard stop before the switch gets fully smashed. Then perhaps we can dispense with the soft stops?

The soft stops are not only active after homing. Before homing it stops you from jogging past the place where you turned on the machine, so it can be a problem with the typical M84-and-drag-to-workpiece method if the toolpath ever goes left or below the CAM origin, which is not uncommon.

The only other thing would be some instructions for switching back to serial mode so extruders or additional axes can be used.

This is not true. There are no limits to movement until the machine is homed. I’ve power cycled my machine while positioned at the middle of my piece, and I’m still able to cut negative coordinates. The M18/M84 and drag is only a problem if the machine has been homed. I made that mistake on one of my first cut after installing dual end stops. I ended up with half circles for some of my bores. And as I’ve mentioned, a G92 will also disable the soft stops. This is all empirical knowledge based on how I use the machine. I’ve not looked at the code.

In my opinion the soft stops are a minor help and a minor hindrance, so at this point I’d probably just leave them in. If a user doesn’t home the machine, they have no impact. The do prevent someone from jogging the machine the wrong way once homed, but since in normal use a G92 is executed or the machine is power cycled before cutting, they don’t prevent someone crushing end stops while cutting.

crash-proof stop blocks

Given that the Primo has a designed place to mount the switches, this is a very easy thing to design and a good idea. But I don’t believe there was any official mounting solution for the Burly, so eliminating the soft stops in the firmware would create risk for any Burly machine running end stops and wanting updated firmware.

Oh interesting, I must have remembered incorrectly. Thank you for correcting me.

As said this is only empirical knowledge from using the machine. It wouldn’t hurt for someone who knows the Merlin code to take a peek. Though I don’t know anyone active on this list is using them, workspaces probably changes things. I would hope that an executing a G92 in a workspace other than the default/global workspace would leave the soft stops active in global workspace.

I think that has changed sometime in the past. I think it was one way, and then switched in the version of Marlin. One of the reasons I want it in a check out test.

Bonjour,

j’ai une erreur et je ne sais pas du tout comment la réparer. je suis sur platformio.

pouvez-vous m’aider?

Merci et bonne journée

The one and only time I’ve used Microsoft Code/Platform IO was to update my firmware, but I believe what you are seeing is only a warning, not an error. You can safely delete the highlighted ‘\’ if it is necessary to move forward. This whole section is just a character drawing inside a comment.

1 Like

Merci @robertbu! Vous utilisez quelle logiciel ? Je regarde aussi sur Arduino pour télécharger le programme.
Bonne journée

1. Ascii art datasheet is awesome! That is a warning and nothing to worry about.
  2. Marlin is moving away from arduino and building in vscode with platformio isn’t very hard and should be pretty future proof.

https://docs.v1engineering.com/learn/platformio/

Merci @jeffeb3! Effectivement, platformio est plus facile à comprendre pour un débutant comme moi !:slightly_smiling_face: