Mpcnc primo max limit

Is it possible to set the max limit on rambo v1.4?
I mean endstop switches will be used to just home so machine can recognize 0,0 origin but at the same time like in my work area of 800mmx600mm, if you dial motion to move past 800mm on X, i want it just stop and show something like “max distance have been reached”.

Just to avoid damaging the machine or any advice please. Thank you!!

Also just a minor thing but how i can correct the “coomand” spelling(in the picture) :slight_smile:

Is it possible to set the max limit on rambo v1.4?

It is possible if you have a dual endstop setup, but it might not be very helpful. First, generally going to the physical limits of the machine will not damage the machine. The “grinding” noise that the stepper makes when the router is held up is non-destructive, and the force the steppers apply is not very high. You can easily hold up the movement of your router. Second, most cutting on the MPCNC is done relative to the workpiece, and by executing a G92 to reset the origin in the physical/native workspace disables the limits.

In the firmware you would have to set the table size to your physical table size and enable softstops, then compile and reflash your board. Then when doing your jobs, you would need to change to a workspace other than the physical/native workspace before setting the origin for the job. See G54-G59.3.

If you really want to do this, I can guide you to the lines in the firmware that need to change and perhaps how to automate setting a different workspace, but I don’t think enabling this feature provides much value.

You can set up soft endstops, but as Robert says, it’s not that useful. To a certain degree, a CNC machine is at a level where you need to Know Your Sh*t™, and that includes knowing how big your job is, and how big your stock is, and how that all relates to your working area.

Please understand that having to Know Your Sh*t™ is absolutely NOT meant to be a gatekeeping mechanism. It’s meant to be a cautionary axiom that you are, in fact, dealing with a robot that very much has the capability to maim or kill you and those you love. (Yes, a bit hyperbolic, but there’s truth to it.)

Well, if you are willing to learn the workflow to use workspace coordinates, which adds a couple of layers of complication to everything that you do, then it is possible to use the soft endstops reasonably.

Probably not worth it though. It makes job setup more difficult.

It might be more useful if Marlin pre-scanned the file to see if there are any out-of-bounds moves, and then didn’t start cutting… But it doesn’t. Marlin will start the job, cut up your material, and then abort when it hits the soft stops. Your material is still cut, but the job doesn’t finish.

Or burn down your house.