MPCNC Primo Schneewittchen Reanimated - Oldenburg, Germany

Thanks, I am going to check the parts, also I will have a look at the chips and touch the shit out of it. The sound happens with every endmill, so I can rule that out. Thanks a bunch! :slight_smile:

:+1: Another thing comes to mind…
How does the vibration behave, if you change the spindle speed?
Maybe you’re accidentially hitting the resonance frequency of some part of your gantry, because tightening the bolts changed that (freq.).
Meh… on the other hand, if you tried with different endmills, you’ve probably done that, already :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Please! We cannot be sure that no minors read this, and in the age of learning english outside their schools they should not be confronted with terms like ‘chips’… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

hehe :joy:

As an English teacher: -_-

@Tokoloshe

looks good… :wink:

oldenburg? only one hour from here (~emden)…

1 Like

I would say it’s some sort of vibration resulting from the thin bit and the high feedrate. As mentioned, try other speeds, bits or materials and check again.
In the end it doesn’t sound too bad in my ears :smiley:

Guten Rutsch!

1 Like

Happens with a 6mm bit as well. Will still need to check out the vibration, have to clean up the workspace first. :smiley:

Rutsch you well! :slight_smile:

Hi Philipp,

Just stumbled upon this topic and I really love your build, but also the black filament. Which brand is this?

Cheers,
Kees

Hey Keers, thanks for the nice words. The black filament is Galaxy Black by Prusa: https://shop.prusa3d.com/en/prusament/711-prusament-pla-prusa-galaxy-black-1kg.html
Red/White are from dasfilament.de, which are great as well. I agree with you though, the Prusament looks really great.

2 Likes

When I fastened the nut-traps when building I had the feeling that one was a bit loose. Turns out that there is the welding seam at exactly that spot. Might have been respobsible for the chatter I get when going in the one direction where the force is pulling away from it. The other sound seems pretty normal when listening to other videos. I am now filing the seam down.

Ah, let us know how it turned out :slightly_smiling_face:

Turns out: wasn’t the problem. I then tried to basically rattle every part available and the core still was not completely snug on one rail. That might have been it, I hope. Will test tomorrow.
I am not sure whether the chattermarks on the aluminum are the core’s fault or that the alu plate had a little wiggling room. Hoping to do another coin tomorrow, since this one is too small as well (but that was not the MPCNC’s fault but mine).

Made a box for pens for my mother’s birthday. She loved it, being a music teacher. At the bottom the wood came loose, that’s why there are two lines, one of which I tried to patch up. :slight_smile:
Things learned: Don’t use a sharp tip for bigger engravings and 5% stepover. -_-

5 Likes

That is very nice I’m sure it will get well loved. Did you do any other finishing?

1 Like

It’s a mahagoni stain and a wood oil on the light parts.
If the question was: did you do a finishing pass: no.

1 Like

I like the look very elegant and artistic :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I finally, after a few weeks of renovating our loft and attaching the second MDF board on Schneewittchen’s table below the first, I was able to continue with my project: Good, pretty low, clamps.
I thought about a concept that would allow me to have one fixed block that is secured at two points and two clamps on the other side. Since my wholes are pretty far away, I wanted sth. to be able to vary the block in depths.
The clamps at the top are from someone else, I did not make them, the white clamp is 3D-printed (and very good, but not low).

Here you can see what I thought of: a board you can move (and fixate) at three different levels to match the size of the board and my holes. I have got one more to mill that has a 90° corner at the bottom left so I can reliably find 0 again for projects that I do more than once.

6 Likes

Tried milling beech today, 1/8’’ dual flute, 3mm DOC and 1200mm/min. Had the same problem with chatter and a screeching sound when going in a certain direction that I used to have before. Did I go too fast for hardwood? The chips looked too tiny still in my opinion.
The cuts look okay, but hell, they didn’t sound like it. Also, the finishing pass with 0.2mm and a single flute didn’t take any more material off, so the cut must have been a bit too wide. Or 0.2mm for the finishing pass are utopic.
Any comments or ideas are appreciated. :slight_smile:

You should try the long single flute from V1. I bet it could handle those settings well.