Mpcnc programming

I need help with configuration h settings. I do not want endstops as I will manually set zero before each cut. I am using the T8 lead screw. I have a4988 drivers and dv388 drivers ill be using one set in one machine and one set in the other. How do I need to program this as I have tried several different configurations and can not get it to work correctly

What control board will you be using?

Ramps 1.4 but I do have several other boards as well. I can also change to a different board if people recommend a different board. As of now I been running the ramps 1.4 on the mpcnc and have had constant problems. But want to try some different configurations that others are successfully using

The setup is specific to each board, so you would probably get the best advice to open a topic on the forum to get help with a specific board and driver combination. You will have the easiest time using a board and driver combination that V1 maintains a tested configuration for.

As for Ramps 1.4, I’m not sure what problems you are having. V1 does maintain a versions for Ramps boards using the DRV8825 drivers. I’m assuming that your ‘dv388’ is meant to be DRV8825 since google does not yield any results for a dv388 stepper driver. I’m no expert on drivers and Marlin setup, but from what I can see between the two drivers you mention, the only differences are defining the driver. Something like:

#define X_DRIVER_TYPE  A4988
 vs.
#define X_DRIVER_TYPE DRV8825

And since the DRV8825 has 32 microsteps vs the A4988 16 microsteps:

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT { 100, 100, 400, 100 }
vs
#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT { 200, 200, 800, 200 }

I been running the ramps 1.4 on the mpcnc and have had constant problems.

Again, I’m not sure what kind of problems you are having. I see a lot of successful Ramps boards being run on this forum. The biggest issue I see for Ramps is that it is delicate and therefore is easier to blow a pin, voltage regulator or fuse. And that the voltage regulator on the clone Mega boards is prone to failure. So maybe you want to open a topic on the forum for the specific problems you are having.

1 Like

There are also just some quality issues. The price was driven down so hard and a lot of components have been swapped out for cheaper ones to meet those new prices. Ryan used to sell them, but he would bench test them and many of them were broken out of the box. Enough that the ramps he would sell was many times more expensive than the ones on amazon or alibaba.

Whether you install endstops or not doesn’t matter, as long as you don’t touch the shiny “home” buttons. The “Dual” versions are for systems that wire one driver per motor, and the non-Dual ones are for serial wiring. They both work nearly identical if you are not installing endstops (despite the gut feeling that giving each motor it’s own driver is better).