MPCNC Rambo v1.4 powering problem

Had a breakthrough in my milling success today. After taking a break, I come back and the mpcnc doesn’t want to turn on anymore.

My observation:
When I connected the power adapter, the lcd flickered before it died.

What I have done:

I opened the electronics enclosure to inspect - no visible debris on the board itself and all the wired connections are in good contact, especially the power and ground attaching to the Rambo V1.4 board itself.

The connection between the power adapter and the power/ground wires leading to the Rambo board are connected fine. The power adapter is connected to the wires too.

I checked the connection between the LCD and the Rambo board and there is no lost connection.

My Question:
Does anyone have a suggestion for what to check next or what it could be?

The fuses don’t look burned out (see image)

Do I need to buy a new board? I’ve only had the bugger for 1.5 - 2 months and bought it direct from ultimachine at an extortionate fee compared to v1 pricing! lol

Do you have multimeter to check voltage at the Rambo power connection? Would help isolate whether the issue is power supply side or electronics side.

1 Like

There is definitely electricity going through the board because when I put my arm up to the very corner of the v1 z-axis touchplate square, I get a minute electric shock. Unconventional but it’s proof somethings happening.

I have probed the 2 small fuses for continuity and they are beeping, so they ain’t burned out I’d assume.

I’m not an electronics guy so I’m not sure if its safe if I probe the power line for voltage. Any other suggestions?

The Board LED doesn’t come on when the power is on

What are the most common things that can cause this? - for someone else, it turned out to be a fuse problem.

This suggests a real issue. These switches should be wired to the “-” and the “s” of the control board. Getting a shock suggest that you may have wired the endstops up to “+” instead, though getting a shock also suggest that you have more than 5V running on these wires. You should not be able to get a shock at 5V even if you wired them wrong. So the shock is very strange. Note that having the endstop switches wired wrong (i.e. using the “+” on the control board) would also account for your issues. If you used the “+”, you are essentially shorting out the board, so I would suggest unplugging all the endstops and trying your board again.

1 Like

They are 100% not plugged into the ‘+’ terminal as I made 100% sure when assembling it and was very meticulous about it. I have also double-checked just now.

This board has been working absolutely fine for 2 months but just now gave up.

The shock is literally if you brush the tiniest surface area of your arm against the smallest corner point of the z-axis touch plate probe. I have that with my mac sometimes if I touch the sharp corner of the shell lightly with my arm. It’s not something I’m particularly alarmed about To be honest.

It is a sign that something is wrong, or else you are shocking the board.

The first debug step for this is to unplug the endstops.

I found the problem - between the power supply block and the board, this barrel connector broke, somehow…