MPCNC Ramps board first power on help

Ramps 1.4 with Dual endstop firmware.

I just plugged in everything, how do I test it? I want to make sure that both x1 and x2 motors are moving in right direction (similar check for y1 and y2).

I have v1Pi image on rpi4 running and I’m able to connect with cncjs and with octoprint. When I press move x and y both motors move correctly. When I press home, the machine wants to go beyond the end stops. Is the octoprint home option suppose to do that?

Motors are connected in this way top left x1, bottom left x2. Top right y1, bottom middle y2, bottom right z

Motors order
X1 Y1
X2 Y2 Z

1. Start by just sending move commands. +X should move right. +Y should move away. +Z should move up. Make sure a 10mm command moves 10mm.
  2. Check the endstop status with M119. The motor connected to the X port should run into the switch that triggers with x_min. Same for Y.
  3. Then home one axis at a time.

Endstops are ignored unless you are homing.

You can work for months without homing or checking the endstops. They really aren’t needed like on a 3D printer.

Is that from any interface? I used the octoprint’s interface and it does move correctly. All 3 axes move correctly now using the octoprint’s UI.

But when I clicked home button on octoprint, it wanted to go beyond the end stops.

How do I do that? Can you please elaborate? Sorry I haven’t sent any commands before.

If you’re using octoprint, it is easy. Just go to the terminal rab and put M119 in and hit send. That should show you what Marlin thinks all the ends stops are. Then hold one down (with your finger or some tape) and send another M119. I think it will make sense when you try it.

That makes sense. I’m running your v1Pi so i have octoprint working. Let me test this and post my results here.

@jeffeb3 – Thank you for showing me M119 command. I was able to do some troubleshooting with it.

End stop y-min was acting up, it was not plugged in right. I used continuity check to ensure it was soldered right and then pushed in correctly. I have fixed it now.

All end stops are working correctly.
Send: M119
Recv: Reporting endstop status
Recv: x_min: open
Recv: x2_min: open
Recv: y_min: open
Recv: y2_min: open
Recv: z_min: open
Recv: ok

When I press any endstop it triggers that one correctly now. I do not have z endstops but it reports it as open, is that ok?

Also, should i try Homeing now, if yes, what is the recommended way to do it?

Edit: I tried using the Home icon on octoprint, and it went all the way on the left and tried to go beyond the end stops. I unplugged machine, and plugged it back again. I tested the endstop status in leftmost position and i get this:
Send: M119
Recv: Reporting endstop status
Recv: x_min: TRIGGERED
Recv: x2_min: TRIGGERED
Recv: y_min: open
Recv: y2_min: open
Recv: z_min: open
Recv: ok

Which means that the endstops are getting triggered correctly, but for some reason homing sequence is not taking them into account.

Maybe not. Are they connected to the correct X1 and X2? If they are swapped, this is just what it would look like.

You can home one axis at a time with G28 X or G28 Y.

That’s fine.