MPCNC source files (NOOB question)

Hi Ryan / Knowledgeable forum members,

Where can I find the Primo MPCNC original CAD files for modification, or even just assembly and designing a structure around it. Or even to remix for an odd diameter tube?

I can also import and convert each STL into parts, but want to avoid the manual effort, and any geometry/software issues that might happen. Please recommend.

-Adi
PS: I have access to fusion 360, and solidworks

Source files are not made available, only STLs. This is to prevent bad actors from ripping off the files and pretending they designed them, and to (somewhat) prevent proliferation of non-standard modified files that cause quality issues and a bad image when people encounter difficulties.

Remixes and modifications from the STL files are generally encouraged if they comply with the license and are not labeled in a misleading way. And even though the source files are not given out, Ryan is pretty forthcoming with specific design dimensions by request. Those are sometimes needed to make a compatible third-party add-on for example.

Are you looking primarily to create virtual assemblies for rendering? Do you have other goals?

5 Likes

Thanks Jaime, that makes sense, I guess.
I will use the STL’s in that case. Just wanted to be sure, I am not doing extra work converting all the STL’s into bodies, etc for nothing.

Ryan does provide a couple of .Step files for a couple of the mounts in Blank Mounts section of his GitHub page. I’ve found this helpful for a couple of things I’ve done. https://github.com/V1EngineeringInc/MPCNC_Primo_Tool_Mounts

And a gentle reminder that the printed parts are not open source. The STLs are provided CC-SA-NC (? @vicious1) but the source CAD files are, in fact, proprietary to V1 Engineering for the reasons stated above. This is old, well-trodden ground, and there are plenty of valiant steeds buried here, all bludgeoned to death and beyond.

That being said, we all look forward to seeing what interesting additions you have for the ecosystem! Don’t forget to share what you come up with!

1 Like

I understand, and I was sure this was answered but it was hard to find in the forums search or google unfortunately… It really is buried, or I just couldn’t come up with the right search terms…
If they could sticky the post or put in FAQ’s somewhere it would help.

Also, I am just designing an enclosure to protect from outdoor elements and sound proof it. I will share the progress in a build thread.

Hey Robert, thanks this helps :). One less part to convert :slight_smile:

Yeah, you sort of have to know where the skeletons are buried, which is why it was a gentle reminder. As much for everyone else as for you. Licensing is a touchy subject, even though it’s a necessary one to hash out occasionally. We (I?) try to let Ryan be the one to broach the subject as an actual topic for conversation, though. Just to avoid unneeded unpleasantness.

As for creating an enclosure, you should be able to get the outer machine dimensions from the calculator, including the Z height needed to remove the tool mount from the core.

1 Like

Editing is encouraged. The machine is yours and you have the tools to make it your own. Do it. You should share what you create. That is also encouraged. You should share derivative parts with the same license CC-SA-NC. If you make something like an air brush mount, you can share it CC0. Adding a hunk of plastic on the core definitely needs to be shared CC-SA-NC. In between, just ask Ryan. He’s cool about it and in most cases, people are cool about it and want to help the project, so it is easy to get on the same page. If he says, “no”, it is because he sees a risk to the community or his business.

The troubles we are trying to avoid are ebayers selling the parts, pretending to be V1 and pointing people to Ryan for support. This is why there aren’t step files available, it makes it too easy to copy, especially without the logo.

We all want to live in a place where Ryan can make a living designing parts and we can all get them cheap and free with great updates. We want people who have the grit to self source, print their own parts and make the project their own. There is a real, verified risk from other vendors to cut into that current security, putting our designer, and this community, and these goals at risk. At the end of the day, these designs are made by Ryan and he chooses where they can be used, and what risks he is willing to take with them.

TL:DR

Please share modifications. If it is based on V1’s work, make sure it is CC-SA-NC. If there is any doubt, contact V1.

5 Likes

Thanks for clarifying that Jeff . Right now my main aim is to build an enclosure, and be sure my dimensions, etc are perfect. I think I opened a can of worms by using the word modification. But, if any modifications are made I will post my modifications with approval from Ryan. I hereby acknowledge him as BDFL :sweat_smile:

My intention here was to put everything into CAD to design the enclosure…

Even given that, the steps files won’t be released, I’m pretty sure.

The calculator does have exterior dimensions, given the work area. The primo hangs over the outside of the footprint, so there is a difference between the size of the table and the size of the enclosure.

1 Like