MPNC some items out of stock

Hello everyone. I’ve been lurking around the site for a few days now. My friend told me about CNC as I recently started making some furniture and wanted to do more. I think I want to start with the MPNC but I’m not seeing all (printed items for the kit) the items available for purchase. Any idea when I can purchase the entire kit.

I’m thinking that I want to do a 2x4 or 3x3 area and had seen mention about additional support, where would I find that? If the MPNC will be out of stock for some time would the Lowrider2 be a good alternative? I primarily want to use for crafting but my son is interested in 3D printing - right now only because he wants an iPhone 11 :-). I’m sure I’ll have lots more questions but for now, that’s it.

Cheers!

The LR2 may actually be a better choice for you if furniture is your primary interest.

1 Like

Any idea when I can purchase the entire kit

The MPCNC is Ryan’s creation, and no one else sells parts or kits. It is fully open source, so some people just pull together some or all of the parts from other sources. There has never been an “entire” kit" plus even with the available kits, you still have to source the tubing/conduit and the MDF baseboard/spoil board locally. Right now things are more difficult in the kit department since the new Primo version has just been released and there is not yet a kit for all the hardware for this new version. A Burly to Primo upgrade kit, 10mm belt, a board, and a 3D printed parts kit all from Ryan will get you most of the way there with only a couple of extra items needed off Amazon or similar. With the demand for the new Primo version, these items are going in and out of stock frequently, so it may take you a couple of weeks watching his site to source them.

but my son is interested in 3D printing

I may be writing sacrilege on this forum, but I would recommend some experience with a well regarded purchased 3D printer before I would setup the MPCNC as a 3D printer. You can get a lot of bang for your buck on 3D printers these days.

I’m thinking that I want to do a 2x4 or 3x3

This is on the larger end of the sizes of an MPCNC. As Paul writes, you might take a close look at the LR2 .

Thanks Robert and Paul for your guidance on this question. I realize I put this in the troubleshooting section lol. I think I’ll proceed with the LR2. While I don’t have much space in my garage for anything large I think at least half a sheet size would work. So another question on the flats (I think that’s what it’s called) for the LR2. Am I to get the 25.4mm/1" and are these available in hard plastic vs wood. I did see a link (does not work to Dan) who makes these as well. I don’t know that I have the budget for a separate 3D printer just now but I suppose I’ll make do for now with the LR2.

A few questions on parts selection. Would the dual end stop be recommended? Control Board - Rambo?

Thanks

I think the question about dual end stops may yield different answers, and they’ll all be correct. I have an MPCNC that I went with the full size Rambo for a board, don’t have the end stops set up as of now, it’s a fairly new machine and I 'm not deep enough into using it to feel the need … yet, but I thought having the option was a good idea as in I’d rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. My opinion is if the $$$ isn’t an issue you won’t hurt yourself by having the option. And one thing I think you’ll find is Ryan doesn’t over promise/under deliver, quite the opposite IMO which seems not all that common these days. Take a run through the ‘Things You’ve Made’ category, you’ll see these machines are quite capable and people are doing some very interesting things with them. The important thing? Have fun! :grin:

1 Like

I have a MPCNC and I don’t want to give you possibly bad LR2 answers. If someone doesn’t answer your LR2 specific question in the next day or two, start a new thread for these specific questions. With that said, the full Rambo board is the safest choice in building these machines. It is robust, has be best support from Ryan (in my opinion), is owned by a lot of people on this forum so questions are easily answered, and is capable of dual endstops.

2 Likes

Endstops are not at all necessary. Dual endstops just add the ability to have the machine square itself. If you have a low rider, you have a 5 foot long gantry and a tape measure can get it square. Once it starts moving, it will stay square. I don’t have endstops on my LR. It is also a bit trickier to do them on the LR, so I would still consider that a “read and figure it out”, compared to serial on LR which is “buy it, and build it”.

A mini rambo is a very solid choice and I used to have on in my LR. I change my controllers often because I have a “new controller” problem. :slight_smile:

The mpcnc can make an awesome printer. But it is not for beginners.

Printing your own parts for either project is a big job. Ryan does a great job at making the parts easier to print, but it is a lot to print. A lot of people with a printer buy the parts.

I didn’t hear anything about Dan stopping selling the flat parts. Where is the broken link? It might just be to the old forums.

Lastly, a 2’x3’ is a very good sized for a lot of furniture. I had an mpcnc that size and it worked well. I now have a 3’x4’ LR and I think I can fit almost any project. Even if I were to make some kind of cnc futuristic high boy or tool box, I could split it into a higher and lower cabinet. You will get more rigidity making the gantry span the 3’ direction.

~lowrider-flat-parts-from-nebraska-available/ is the broken link I that doesn’t work. Very solid feedback. Must say I love the responsiveness of this forum. So the 25.4/1" is for US right?

On a LR, Yes. Make sure you find a source for tubing first, ideally measuring the OD of the tube. 1" conduit will not work.

Dan says he’s only selling through the V1 shop now.

Yes he just told me that. Thanks.

Maybe my last question on this thread. I already own a Makita 700 series. Does the LR2 kit have the collar to fit included? Where do I customize for the flat parts - the description implies 611.

The 611 attaches with its base to the plate. Ryan made a neato vac tube route to give dust collection on the 611. If your router has a base with a flat plate, and it fits, you can screw it down just like the dewalt, but the dust collection might not fit. The 611 is bigger than the smallest trim routers, but not by much.

Regarding the Makita 700 for the LR2, All necessary modifications to work with a Makita RT0700C or RT0701C covers what you will need to do different from the DeWalt 611.

1 Like

Wanted to say thanks again for the assist. I’ve decided to go with the MPCNC with the recommended 2x2 configuration instead of the LR2. This is about what I can fit in my workspace. I figure I’ll work with this and graduate to something bigger as the need arises. I’ll be back with more questions when it arrives. Cheers!