Mugbot, Cupbot? Not sure what to call it

So at lunch I get board and my mind wonders.
I finished my mini mill (last picture) and wanted something else to make.
I saw something similar but it was made with servos and was very gittery.
So one thing led to another and I came up with this.
The Mug-Plotter (or not).
Still have some tweaking to do but it works better than I anticipated!

20200318_135749_1

13 Likes

Your job looks awesome!

Dish Doodler?

1 Like

I thought it was a coffee stirrer high speed cream mixer but mug mangler or cup spangler

I love it. It would be funny if it were a mug daily calendar where each day you wash it off and then draw so it says today is Wednesday, March 18th. Totally impractical on a regular silk screen mug, might turn some heads, thinking whaaa?

3 Likes

The movie is tiny (like 8mm x 13mm) :cry:

1 Like

That’s one little mug a espresso bejuler

1 Like

Mugdazzler

4 Likes

You could connect it up to a little computer script and have a daily web-comic, headline, weather forecast or ‘thought for the day’.

3 Likes

Ya not sure why, sorry.

Hmmmm, I think I like this one.

3 Likes

You almost have a million dollar idea in this thread. Get it built into something like a kurig and everyday when you wait for some coffee pull out the mug and it has a new comic/quote/badass logo/snarky comment/day of the week. Maybe try a little sandify pattern to really give it a workout!

How freaking cool is it that you slapped this together on a lunch break or two! I just can’t get over the world we live in now (or that at least I now live in) to where this sort of thing can happen so easily and cheaply. Sorry this stuff still blows my mind.

5 Likes

It seems like xkcd would be a perfect subject, as long as you can avoid some of the more… non-conforming image sizes. That or maybe Gary Larson…

I think drawing something different on it each day would be awesome. It would be great if you didn’t see what it made until it was drawing (which would be some serious automation, for sure).

I would accept xkcd, or even just the weather.

I like the idea of combining it with the keureg, or other coffee machine, so you could have it draw while also filling the cup.

Now we just need an ink that is not going rub off on your hands, removable easily in the dishwasher, and non toxic…

1 Like

Might require a special coating on the mugs. Which is fine by me as long as there are options for good, thick heat-retaining styles and/or tall travel mugs.

Something kind of like these, but without the cloud sync…

https://thevintagenote.com/products/elfinbook-ii-smart-reusable-smart-notebook

2 Likes

Regular sharpie is a pretty good start. A few years ago the wife and I were going to make some gifts and found the sharpie is not as permanent as one would want for a permanent marker. Permanent enough for a day’s worth of handling but a little scrub and it comes off. So in other words perfect for a daily quote or cartoon or what have you.

4 Likes

What about the dry erase marker then have it apply a clear vinyl or cellophane over it? I like the idea of not seeing what is drawn until its done.
Having a user submitted database of goofy cr@p to pull from would be cool…

As Ryan said, amazing for designing and building during your lunch break. I’d love something like that for making gifts.

The reason it comes off so easily is because of the glaze on the mug. Once the marker is applied, you have to clear coat it somehow to prevent the marker from coming off.

Another way to remove marker from a mug is to use some rubbing alcohol. It’ll take the permanent marker off fairly quickly.

-Ryan J.

1 Like

This would not work well in my office environment. My coworker would hack it and there’s no telling what the picture on something heading towards my mouth would look like. :smiley:

3 Likes

What, you don’t like dicks on your mug?

3 Likes

You said it! About 25 years ago I built a CNC machine using a solid core door as the base, stepper motors salvaged from 5-1/4" floppy drives, drilled-out Lego pinion gears, threaded rod, rack-gears cut by hand from Plexiglas. Rubber hose and hose clamps for flex-connectors. I might have pictures but everything was on film at the time.

It is unbelievable how easy and cheap it is to get the parts and electronics for this stuff now.

2 Likes

Love the mugbot! Also, welcome Wylder and awesome to see someone from an RC company here! I don’t actually own a Traxxas, but I did race an XRay M18 for a while and have some Kyosho mini-z. I have a pair of dnano that are perhaps my favorite RCs ever.

Everyone talking about custom coffee service made me think of this: https://www.drinkripples.com/ The SF office had one when I was there for a hackathon :slight_smile:

Also, I’m curious about your mini-mill. Is that the openbuilds design? I always enjoy the “what’s next” planning and a smaller machine dedicated to metal while my larger format MPCNC does wood had me eyeballing mills. Price and ease of CNC enabling made the mini-mill attractive, but machinists always say get a manual mill and convert. I’d definitely love to get your take!