Multiple cuts for same piece?

Ah. I get it. I might have some difficulty with some of my parts, since they come within 10mm of the edge of the sheet. But I can try, and see what happens. Thank you.

After checking that everything was tight, well fitting, aligned and anything else I could think of, my table leveling began. It’s a big table (2480 x1230) but even with a 25mm bit at 50mm/sec and 1mm DOC it takes just on an hour. After the 3rd cut, I noticed things going very poorly. Cuts of uneven depth. Weird.

And then I noticed that the sled on which the router sits was FLEXING quite badly. I stopped the cut, wobbled the router, and it was as though it were on rubber. Quite alarming.

What had happened is that the router had become progressively hotter with each cut, and after 3 hours, the sled (printed from PLA) had softened, sagging by at least 5mm on one side… This sled, as you know, is supposed to be flat.

Moral of the story: Don’t use a printed sled.

So I spent the afternoon cutting a new sled from 10mm MDF - not the final one, which I’ll cut on the LR2, but a workable sled to allow me to get this done.

I’m also not at all happy about the dust collection with my flash Carbatec dust extractor hooked up, so I made some mods to the sled - but I’ll have to wait till tomorrow when I do levelling cut #4 to see if this works or not.

Duncan

Tough break there.

Reiterating what others said about a sharpie. You could simply add a block to your sled. On that block, mount something as simple as gluing the cap to an old sharpie. Then in your tool paths (estlcam or whatever) select your scribe / text. Move it by your offset, raise your gantry, install sharpie, g92 x0 y0 z0, and hit play.

1 Like