My 5' x 5' build

I have DRV 8825 drivers. 1/32 stepping mode on all axis. Active cooling and heat sinks yes. Firmware is your firmware (no lcd version). Everything is set how you set it by default in the firmware. When I tell it to move 200mm it moves pretty much bang on. Pulleys are 16 teeth.

Motors are SL42STH40-1684A they are 1.8 amps… What should the drivers be set to?

Ugh looking at some wiring diagrams…

The attached photo is the correct way to wire these? In the second photo the image on the left is how I have them wired right now.

Now if I understand this all correctly… Since they drivers cannot output 3 amps the steppers should be wired in series since they are capable of enough voltage.

Don’t worry about that picture, it will work it is just the most complicated way to flip 2 wires by flipping all 4. Works just the same. You are in the ballpark with the voltage.

Take the belts off and see if you have any issues. Then it is either the the belt tension or binding on a rail, or both. Did you start with all the tension bolts loose? How freely does it move, do you feel any binding without the belts, do they bind in the exact same place. This kind of problem if very hard to do from my end. electronics re easy, but I can’t physically touch your machine to know if it is too tight so I can only suggest to loosen all the tension bolts and only tighten them later if you find you are getting chatter or something. This whole thing should be much looser than most expect.

So am I correct saying I am wired in parallel? Should I not change it to series to reduce the load on the drivers?

I have a feeling the belts are too tight then if the wiring is good. They are tensioned the way they are on my 3d printer. Which required some force on the zip ties.

I played around this morning before I had to leave and all the tension bolts can be spun by hand. It was still binding. I guess the belts shouldnt sag but you probably shouldnt be able to pluck them like a string (mine are like that)

Yup parallel.

Hopefully it is the belts. My when plucked sound like a bass guitar would if it was too loose. they make a noise but barely.

Mine do not really make any sound probably cuz they are so long. But just lightly pressing on them they only have maybe 1" or 1.5" dip midway… The old motor mounts flexed in towards the belt a fair amount prior to changing to the new rollers… I never loosened anything off when i switched.

I need to reflash my Arduino with the correct build size… I was getting an access denied issues. Any hints as to why this is happening? The ramps board is attached.

Well I think I got it sorted…

Rewired my steppers to series.
Re ran my belt and loosed off all the bolts on the rollers so they could be spun by hand but the nuts are still locked.
Figured out the flashing issues I was having. Reduced the travel speed to 175 made it move much better. Got my proper dimensions entered in as well.
1200 x 1200 movable size… Actual cut probably 1100mm square.

Just need to finish redoing my cable management, and build a speed controller. Then once the rest of my laser parts arrive get that bad boy running.

Also want to figure out how to set it up to turn off and on thru firmware and probably a SSR. Anyone have any solutions?

Yikes I travel at about 60mm/s

Really? even when just testing movement with in repetier server? (or what ever you use) Perhaps thats why I was having as many issues as I was… It was still set in the firmware to travel at 195 (default)

No I test at full speed. I have the test script I run in the forums somewhere. When in use 60 is fast enough not to stress me out.

Would this script happen to work to wear the rails in?

Your first few cuts should be in HD foam, you should be good to go after that. I never bothered with any of that. If you are using as a 3d printer only maybe its worth your time. As a mill, don’t worry about it.

It will be a mill and laser engraver/cutter… I was worried about shaking with the laser stuff.

Well got a few things done this weekend. Changed over to the new corners, shorten my Z legs a couple inches(huge difference). Sanded the crap outta my conduits to make then smooth like a babies bottom. Ran a break in program for a few hours. Then drew a few designs (one is attached). Added endstops to X, Y and Z.

I also thought about squaring before each job and it would be a pain in the butt to break out the tape measure every time… So what I did to fix this was I printed 2 extra end stop holders. Homed my axis’ measured the distance away from the corner block on the side with the actual endstop. I then measured the other side and moved it to the exact same position. I then attached the blank endstop holder to prevent this end from going past.

So to square each axis if necessary before each job I click the home X, home Y then disengage the motors and move the far side to touch the blank end stop mount and BOOM square in 2 seconds.

Good Idea with the squaring.

Here is the final product… Just have to mount the router and spoilboard and its ready to cut.

You can see the blank end stops in some of the pics. I have also added secondary braces for the vertical legsfrom a thing I found on thingiverse.

one last pic of the Z axis

Nice machine! Now that I added my endstops it has made me more at ease.

The additional corner supports look interesting, if I make my legs longer I will use those as well. They extend into the work area but should not affect travel as we need cearancw for the z axis and in case huge ?nema 23 motors.

Let us know how they work out for you.

Leg braces are under the horizontal x and y tubes, they’re out of the way of the router. Though I suppose they are in the way of larger flat sheets being put into the machine.

Yes they are directly below the X Y rails and do not interfere with anything… Because of the supports mid way I cannot slide larger sheets in from the sides anyways.

I am anxious to get cutting. My father graciously donated 5 1/4" single flute up cut bits of various sizes to my cause. (Spare they had laying around his shop, all but one are brand new)… Now if I could just figure out their tool path program I would have access to his gigantic cnc router.

My goals for next week are test get in HD foam then in to wood. I also want to work on a procedure for tool changes. Was hoping for a single file but might have to settle for multiple files.

When I expand mine out I’m going to keep one side center span unattached so I can pull it out to slide in sheets.