My build 30''x30" nema 23

Looks really good. You can usually tell by how the cut walls or bottoms look. To me from those pics looks like your machine is great!

I used a small cutter today and the machine worked well. It took a bit of time but the mpcnc worked well, I think my best cut so far.

1 Like

Looks perfect!

Once you get the hang of it you should be able to speed things up, usually by a deeper cut, but there are other ways as well.

Hi All Just a quick update on my machine I added drag chains and belt tensioners and they seem to be working well.

I got some 60deg carve bits so I can get back to making a few things.

1 Like

sorry to dig up an old post but do you have your configuration.h and configuration_adv.h ???

iā€™m using the mpcnc firmware on an open build cnc with nema 23 motors and i struggle to set up acceleration and jerk to have move without misses steps.

thanks

Might I ask what stepper drivers and board you used? Iā€™m currently planning to build a 30x24 with nema 23s.

Welcome! I trust you already have the NEMA 23s? If not, you may want to reconsider. Really. The NEMA 17s are enough to pull these builds apart (well, the ones Ryan sells are). You end up adding weight for diminishing returns. Plus, youā€™ll have to find/design your own motor mounts.

Regardless, welcome again! Iā€™m afraid I donā€™t have an answer for you. Iā€™m using 1.5A NEMA 17s, so I will be using a RAMPS 1.4 and the A4988ā€™s I got (until they die, or I get fed up with them, and switch to the ā€œstandardā€ DRVs). Hopefully, someone with more experience with non-spec hardware will see this and drop some knowledge.

2 Likes

Well my brother and I are still in planning so we havenā€™t bought anything yet. Might be moving to a Cartesian design with screws just for the extra torque.

If you read that advice as ā€œthe machine is not strongā€, that is incorrect. The point is that nema 17s are very strong and you do not need more torque to run a router.

1 Like

Yeah, i took a dip through 1/4 inch aluminum. All in one pass, ~30 ipm give or take, I forget. Almost wet myself, but I didnā€™t lose any steps.

2 Likes