My firmware doesnt like me

so i have an archim 2 board and i need to flash firmware on it, I have the hardware set up for dual endstop lcd but when i try to upload the archim 2 dual endstop firmware using platform.io it gives me the error

Executing task in folder Marlin-MPCNC_Archim2_T8_16T_LCD_16step: C:\Users\brett brustad.000.platformio\penv\Scripts\pio.exe run --target upload <

Warning! env_default configuration option in section [platformio] is deprecated and will be removed in the next release! Please
use default_envs instead
Can not remove temporary directory C:\Users\brett brustad.000\Desktop\Marlin-MPCNC_Archim2_T8_16T_LCD_16step\.pioenvs. Please remove it manually to avoid build issues
Processing megaatmega2560 (platform: atmelavr; framework: arduino; board: megaatmega2560)
-----------------------------------------------------------------Verbose mode can be enabled via -v, --verbose option
CONFIGURATION: Redirecting...
PLATFORM: Atmel AVR (3.0.0) > Arduino Mega or Mega 2560 ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)
HARDWARE: ATMEGA2560 16MHz, 8KB RAM, 248KB Flash
DEBUG: Current (avr-stub) On-board (avr-stub, simavr)
PACKAGES:

• framework-arduino-avr 5.1.0
  • tool-avrdude 1.60300.200527 (6.3.0)
  • toolchain-atmelavr 1.50400.190710 (5.4.0)
    Converting Marlin.ino
    LDF: Library Dependency Finder → http://bit.ly/configure-pio-ldfLDF Modes: Finder ~ chain, Compatibility ~ soft
    Library Manager: Installing git+https://github.com/mikeshub/SailfishLCD.git
    UserSideException: Please install Git client from https://git-scm.com/downloads:
    File “C:\Users\brett brustad.000.platformio\penv\lib\site-packages\platformio\builder\main.py”, line 170:
    env.SConscript(“$BUILD_SCRIPT”)
    File “C:\Users\brett brustad.000.platformio\packages\tool-scons\scons-local-4.0.1\SCons\Script\SConscript.py”, line 598:
    return _SConscript(self.fs, *files, **subst_kw)
    File “C:\Users\brett brustad.000.platformio\packages\tool-scons\scons-local-4.0.1\SCons\Script\SConscript.py”, line 287:
    exec(compile(scriptdata, scriptname, ‘exec’), call_stack[-1].globals)
    File “C:\Users\brett brustad.000.platformio\platforms\atmelavr\builder\main.py”, line 162:
    target_elf = env.BuildProgram()
    File “C:\Users\brett brustad.000.platformio\packages\tool-scons\scons-local-4.0.1\SCons\Environment.py”, line 219:
    return self.method(*nargs, **kwargs)
    File “C:\Users\brett brustad.000.platformio\penv\lib\site-packages\platformio\builder\tools\platformio.py”, line 62:
    env.ProcessProjectDeps()
    File “C:\Users\brett brustad.000.platformio\packages\tool-scons\scons-local-4.0.1\SCons\Environment.py”, line 219:
    File “C:\Users\brett brustad.000.platformio\penv\lib\site-packages\platformio\builder\tools\platformio.py”, line 140:
    project_lib_builder = env.ConfigureProjectLibBuilder()
    File “C:\Users\brett brustad.000.platformio\penv\lib\site-packages\platformio\builder\tools\piolib.py”, line 1062:
    project.install_dependencies()
    File “C:\Users\brett brustad.000.platformio\penv\lib\site-packages\platformio\builder\tools\piolib.py”, line 898:
    lm.install(spec)
    File “c:\users\brett brustad.000.platformio\penv\lib\site-packages\platformio\package\manager_install.py”, line 49:
    spec, silent=silent, skip_dependencies=skip_dependencies, force=force
    File “c:\users\brett brustad.000.platformio\penv\lib\site-packages\platformio\package\manager\library.py”, line 86:
    force=force,
    File “c:\users\brett brustad.000.platformio\penv\lib\site-packages\platformio\package\manager_install.py”, line 97:
    pkg = self.install_from_url(spec.url, spec, silent=silent)
    File “c:\users\brett brustad.000.platformio\penv\lib\site-packages\platformio\package\manager_install.py”, line 141:
    vcs = VCSClientFactory.new(tmp_dir, url)
    File “c:\users\brett brustad.000.platformio\penv\lib\site-packages\platformio\package\vcsclient.py”, line 55:
    src_dir, remote_url, tag, silent
    File “c:\users\brett brustad.000.platformio\penv\lib\site-packages\platformio\package\vcsclient.py”, line 72:
    self.check_client()
    File “c:\users\brett brustad.000.platformio\penv\lib\site-packages\platformio\package\vcsclient.py”, line 138:
    “Please install Git client from Git - Downloads
    ================== [FAILED] Took 3.38 seconds ==================

Environment Status Duration

megaatmega2560 FAILED 00:00:03.384
============= 1 failed, 0 succeeded in 00:00:03.384 =============The terminal process “C:\Users\brett brustad.000.platformio\penv\Scripts\pio.exe ‘run’, ‘–target’, ‘upload’” terminated with exit code: 1.

Terminal will be reused by tasks, press any key to close it.

Executing task in folder Marlin-MPCNC_Archim2_T8_16T_LCD_16step: C:\Users\brett brustad.000.platformio\penv\Scripts\pio.exe run --target upload <

Warning! `env

OK…I’m no expert…but you seem to have a few issues. first off is you seem to have set a mega2560 as your target but the archim2 uses a 32bit Atmel SAM3X8E processor. you also could do with following the suggestions of changing the env_default entry in platformio to default_envs (while this is not actually causing your error at the moment the entries are going to change in the next release and will then cause a failure). also you should manually delete the .pioenvs directory as requested to ensure any old configuration data is removed and your file will be compiled using the correct variables as selected. Now I’m guessing this is all gobbledegook to you so…
load up Visual Studio Code. Open your working folder. Open platformio.ini. In the editor, find envs_default (in blue) in the [platformio] section and change it to default_envs. On that same line you have currently mega2560 - change that to DUE . … default_env = DUE
Then open file explorer, find and delete `C:\Users\brett brustad.000\Desktop\Marlin-MPCNC_Archim2_T8_16T_LCD_16step.pioenvs… the whole .pioenvs directory.

Once done try and compile it again…

Everybody feel free to add corrections!

This seems like it might be part of the issue too.

MarlinBuilder releases has an archim zip already configured from 2.0.7.1 and has the platform.ini and everything configured already. I believe it builds in arduino and in pio already. The builder can’t make a .zip unless those builds succeed.

1 Like

with a mix between both of your solutions it now works for other people looking in i used the new file and changed the mega 2560 to default_env = DUE and it worked

but now nothing happens when i plug it in the lcd does not turn on

Are you using the firmware from MarlinBuilder releases?

Yes.

Ok. It is probably just the cables. They have 4 ways to plug in and they are all harmless, but only one way works.

I was surprised you need to change the default env, but I think I might be doing some tricks to change the command line instead of changing the platform.ini file. I need to document that, if that’s true.

ok so there are more problems number one the boot scree wont upload because it says

const unsigned char custom_start_bmp[] PROGMEM = {

has the word PROGMEM which it thinks is wrong

another problem it sees is the /**
im using pio by the way
thanks for the help

I think there might be an issue with your post. Some of the characters sometimes get eaten by the forum. You can start with three backticks and then put code or error messages in and close with three more backticks.

You might try arduino instead. The archim should be flashable by arduino.

and i tried arduino but it works even worse

Warning! env_default configuration option in section [platformio] is deprecated and will be removed in the next release! Please use default_envs instead
Can not remove temporary directory C:\Users\brett brustad.000\Desktop\Marlin-MPCNC_Archim2_T8_16T_LCD_16step\.pioenvs. Please remove it manually to avoid build issues
Processing megaatmega2560 (platform: atmelavr; framework: arduino; board: megaatmega2560)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Verbose mode can be enabled via -v, --verbose option
CONFIGURATION: Redirecting...
PLATFORM: Atmel AVR (3.0.0) > Arduino Mega or Mega 2560 ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)
HARDWARE: ATMEGA2560 16MHz, 8KB RAM, 248KB Flash
DEBUG: Current (avr-stub) On-board (avr-stub, simavr)
PACKAGES:

• framework-arduino-avr 5.1.0
  • tool-avrdude 1.60300.200527 (6.3.0)
  • toolchain-atmelavr 1.50400.190710 (5.4.0)
    Converting Marlin.ino
    LDF: Library Dependency Finder → Library Dependency Finder (LDF) — PlatformIO latest documentation
    LDF Modes: Finder ~ chain, Compatibility ~ soft
    Library Manager: Installing git+https://github.com/mikeshub/SailfishLCD.git
    UserSideException: Please install Git client from https://git-scm.com/downloads:
    File “C:\Users\brett brustad.000.platformio\penv\lib\site-packages\platformio\builder\main.py”, line 170:
    env.SConscript(“$BUILD_SCRIPT”)
    File “C:\Users\brett brustad.000.platformio\packages\tool-scons\scons-local-4.0.1\SCons\Script\SConscript.py”, line 598:
    return _SConscript(self.fs, *files, **subst_kw)
    File “C:\Users\brett brustad.000.platformio\packages\tool-scons\scons-local-4.0.1\SCons\Script\SConscript.py”, line 287:
    exec(compile(scriptdata, scriptname, ‘exec’), call_stack[-1].globals)
    File “C:\Users\brett brustad.000.platformio\platforms\atmelavr\builder\main.py”, line 162:
    target_elf = env.BuildProgram()
    File “C:\Users\brett brustad.000.platformio\penv\lib\site-packages\platformio\builder\tools\platformio.py”, line 62:
    env.ProcessProjectDeps()
    File “C:\Users\brett brustad.000.platformio\penv\lib\site-packages\platformio\builder\tools\platformio.py”, line 140:
    project_lib_builder = env.ConfigureProjectLibBuilder()
    File “C:\Users\brett brustad.000.platformio\penv\lib\site-packages\platformio\builder\tools\piolib.py”, line 1062:
    project.install_dependencies()
    File “C:\Users\brett brustad.000.platformio\penv\lib\site-packages\platformio\builder\tools\piolib.py”, line 898:
    lm.install(spec)
    File “c:\users\brett brustad.000.platformio\penv\lib\site-packages\platformio\package\manager_install.py”, line 49:
    spec, silent=silent, skip_dependencies=skip_dependencies, force=force
    File “c:\users\brett brustad.000.platformio\penv\lib\site-packages\platformio\package\manager\library.py”, line 86:
    force=force,
    File “c:\users\brett brustad.000.platformio\penv\lib\site-packages\platformio\package\manager_install.py”, line 97:
    pkg = self.install_from_url(spec.url, spec, silent=silent)
    File “c:\users\brett brustad.000.platformio\penv\lib\site-packages\platformio\package\manager_install.py”, line 141:
    vcs = VCSClientFactory.new(tmp_dir, url)
    File “c:\users\brett brustad.000.platformio\penv\lib\site-packages\platformio\package\vcsclient.py”, line 55:
    src_dir, remote_url, tag, silent
    File “c:\users\brett brustad.000.platformio\penv\lib\site-packages\platformio\package\vcsclient.py”, line 72:
    self.check_client()
    File “c:\users\brett brustad.000.platformio\penv\lib\site-packages\platformio\package\vcsclient.py”, line 138:
    “Please install Git client from Git - Downloads
    =========================================================================== [FAILED] Took 1.72 seconds ===========================================================================

Environment Status Duration

megaatmega2560 FAILED 00:00:01.718
====================================================================== 1 failed, 0 succeeded in 00:00:01.718 ======================================================================The terminal process “C:\Users\brett brustad.000.platformio\penv\Scripts\pio.exe ‘run’, ‘–target’, ‘upload’” terminated with exit code: 1.

Terminal will be reused by tasks, press any key to close it.