My first Fusion model and print

I know it’s a pretty simple shape at a glance but I’m pretty stoked about my first model through print project. That bottom brim is actually angled both top and bottom. I used a sphere that was like 500 times larger than the part to cut the angle out of the bottom. Looked like a big ball wearing a teeny hat but the angle should be perfect.

Can’t wait to test it. It’s a sphere sander for ice carving. Each little hole gets a wood screw inserted. Ribbed for pleasure - and so it’s easier to hold with winter gloves on.

Didn’t print through Fusion - used Slic3r. I had to raft it while I wait for a new bed for my printer and I think because of that the support material didn’t print? Somehow it held that shallow angle on the underside well enough to not be a bust of a print. Do rafts override supports?

[attachment file=85370]
[attachment file=85371]

So this is a way to hold 20ish screws in a perfect circle? And you just go midevil on a chunk of ice?

Hahaha. Well if you want to strip all the science and technology away from it all. Yes. And chainsaws. Chainsaws are involved too ; )

I think this will only be good for big balls.

Yes. I said it.

You could have described the science and technology. You chose to go there.

True. Must be having an off day…

I stopped at 13. I’ll give this a whirl and decide if I go to 26. Plus 7 degrees here this weekend though so the ice is going into survival mode (it’ll be buried in a tarp and then buried in snow).

[attachment file=85402]
[attachment file=85403]

Well, congrats on your model and your print. That is not a simple model either.

1 Like

Nice work. Lets see this baby in action!

1 Like

See on the bottom there? The layer perimeters were hanging on by a thread because the supports didn’t print. Some of them let go and stretched across here and there bit it looks like the infill is holding it together. Was it because I had rafted the print so it cancelled the supports or did it determine supports weren’t needed maybe? I thought I saw them in the slicer preview so was confused. I think with just a little support this would print just about perfect.

Feels robust. We’ll see how it stands up to the jarring on the ice though.

Maybe the supports didn’t adhere to the raft? It’s been a while since I used a raft. We need @aaryn

Unless it has to be round I would use a 40 degree angle/chamfer instead to avoid the overhang issue. Inside and outside to keep it even walled.

…And… loving that you are getting into CAD. It is a big step into making all these fancy machine really worth having.

1 Like

Looks good but seems like the screws would be pretty aggressive, what about hex head sheetmetal screws from the bottom?

Wait I get it now.Only the screw head surface needs to be contoured to set the screw tips (CAD term-reference surface), so the bottom can be flat and angled for ease and strength of printing.

I think Josh is onto something with the other screws, wide contact surface and shorter for less of a lever arm.

Yes! Of course. And the top angle was a piece of cake - fillet did it for me. AND screw guide holes were set at a perpendicular angle to the top and bottom angles in Fusion so I can flatten the bottom off no problem. Especially because of the good old parametric modeling! Or the modeling timeline I guess. There’s nothing parametric about this piece actually. If I’ve got the terminology right.

I was going to use 1/2” sheet metal screws…just couldn’t find them so I grabbed the little brass ones which I think will dull too fast. I’ll find them for number two. And then I’ll need to figure out how small I can get with this tool before I need to make a smaller one. A lot of it has to do with the chainsaw roughed chunk I start with though - not so much the tool’s effectiveness.

Aggressive. Yes. That reminds me. I need to post a photo of the board I made with the MPCNC. Aggressive is good for shaping. And I bet if I keep this brass screw version but put the other 16 screws in I can lighten up the pressure and then use that as the finishing tool. But we definitely want the points of the screws doing the work. The heads would be too gentle. But perhaps for finishing. Worth a try.

That is an impressive design. Well done. Fusion 360 had too many buttons for me. The CAD program I use (OnShape.com) has a simplified interface for people like me who get intimidated by too many options. But I have been thinking about trying to learn fusion 360.

Rafts don’t prevent supports. At least not in the Cura slicer. Not sure about Slic3r.

This is different than what you are seeing but I have had issues before though with supports on rafts. Where the supports were so short that they were skipped. Let me see if I can explain this. In your case you have a curve. The very bottom will touch the raft and then it will slowly curve up and get further away from the raft. That will cause a wedge like shape of air. I have noticed this can cause a problem with supports on a raft for a small area. The slicer program will try to create a small gap between the part and the support. That way it is easier to separate them. Well I think the slicer gets confused and creates a small space between the raft and the supports as well. So it is trying to add an air gap from top and bottom. That makes it skip even trying to make supports for a layer or two. So in may case my supports just fail and fall apart.

But that doesn’t look like what happened here. It sounds like it just didn’t even try to add the supports. I don’t know why it would do that.

I play outdoor roller hockey with some friends and someone decided they should install some screws in the roller hockey puck, with the heads on the concrete. It’s heavier and it actually slides really well. It was great until someone got hit in the face and broke bones.

But the point is the screw heads were low friction.

I think this is great! I was wondering if you would be willing to share your layer height/nozzel dimension and extruder speeds for this print? Im just finishing my MP3Dp and have yet to even flash it. I have some trepidation when it comes to the actual printing part, but I am looking for faster and stronger built functional prints. Yours indeed looks like it fits the bill.