My first parametric box

Feels like a pretty significant hurdle I made it over, I made my first fully parametric designed box in fusion. I’m sure this is a simple thing for many but it took me a few days of playing with it for everything to respond appropriately. I’ve got separate parameters for inside height, inside width, inside depth, material thickness, and sizes for both male and female parts of the box joint to control their tolerances. Now I can simply change each parameter independently in the parameter panel and the box maintains it’s joints and everything’s relation to everything else. Made the little 4" box first to test it out and just made version 2 of my hex pattern record crate using the same file.
I’m sure I could’ve just downloaded someone else’s premade parametric box but I wanted to figure out how to make it on my own so I can apply what I learned to any future projects.

12 Likes

I’ve been using Fusion for the past year and now realize I’ve been making my designs the wrong/long/harder way. Thanks for posting, learned something new.

2 Likes

I’ve definitely been using it wrong myself and so this was one of the first steps I wanted to take in using it’s features better.

1 Like

Next version made from the same plain box file. 45 (7") record box for the shop I’ve been selling coasters to.
This was a good prototype but this 5mm ply isn’t going to work to sell it.

4 Likes

Sometimes I feel like I’m fading away
You’re looking at me, I’ve got nothing to say
Don’t make me angry with the games that you play
Either light up or leave me alone

Just discovered there were new Traffic albums in '94 and '05! I had no idea…