My grand LR2 plan starts here

I’m trying to Print the CROWN.

I’ve created the gcode in Estlcam .

I load the code in Repetier and hit print…

The machine raises up in the Z axis way to high ( approx. 30cm) & then starts the print.
Looks to be printing fine.

Here’s a video

Any thoughts on this ?

1 Like

Try Ryan’s crown at the bottom of the milling basics page. Also make sure to set X0Y0Z0 before you start your job

1 Like

I think it is setting to 0,0,0, before printing (as per image) … but before this it moves up in Z axis first ( 30cm or more up) :frowning: Could it be that it’s going to a home position first ?

The circled line is a move command telling the machine to move the tool to what the machine thinks (really, “knows”) is the tool’s 0,0,0 coordinate, also known as the origin. Unless you change this, it is the location the tool was at when the machine was powered on. G00 (or sometimes just G0) is a straight line travel move. G01 (or sometimes G1) is a straight line move while cutting. Travel moves generally go at a higher feedrate (faster) since there’s no need to account for the drag of the cutter in the material.

G92 is (one of) the command(s) that can be used to reset the coordinate system. Move the tool to the desired start point and issue G92 X0 Y0 Z0 to reset the origin so that the current position is known to be 0,0,0.

If end stops are installed, the homing routine will also reset the coordinate origin for the axes included in the homing routine. You don’t need end stops, G92 can be used to set the current machine position to any arbitrary coordinate values.

2 Likes

Thank you Tom for the concise answer that is what I was trying to get at

Thanks for this guys…
Here’s what I now have & I must say things are looking much better. Next up I’ll try attaching a marker pen.

GCode_crown2

1 Like

and the moment of truth… Drum ROLL Please.

THe CROWN of THORNS had been bestowed … just kidding, looks not too shabby from my perspective.

Thoughts Anyone ?

I had some difficulty getting the Sharpie pen to stay in place so I held it down from time to time… so the retraction lines are still there since I was pushing on the pen… Not a bad effort for a newbie I say.

I sure I hope I can get some cuts done before Christmas as I’d love to build my little boys a few toys.

In all honestly… it feels damn good to reach this milestone… damn good

6 Likes

Congrats it looks pretty good. There’s some wobble in it but that sounds like the pen mounting. It is a big milestone, next comes brave pants for the loud button.

Nice car. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The wobble is due in my part, my finger holding the pen prob. not the most stable following a robot pen.

Regarding the car - yeah I decided to downsize ( keeping in tune with global warming and all ) It was that or ride a horse & as you can see grass is scarce.

2 Likes

I’m busy threading each stepper motor cable through X-Axis tubes. I extended each wire and soldered them and am now wrapping them in spiral cable protectors.

Am wondering where best to mount the power supply and driver board ? I’m thinking of having all sit on the X-axis tube ends a there’s approx. 10cm over hang. Hope this is OK … not too heavy or offset the motion ?

1 Like

It would be better to hang them on the Y plates. Then they don’t have to be lifted.

oh true … good call. Box them up and bolt them to the side of the Y Plate. Might have to purchase couple of longer wheel bolts.

Here’s several iterations of the CROWN using a sharpie.
Starting from my first movement in X / Y manually to adjusting the Z to final crown image.
IMG_7330

Worth noting, my table surface is badly out in terms of the Z height on one side being a full 1cm lower. :frowning: That’s massive !! so to compensate till I purchase a nice piece of board I’ve adjusted the Z screw on one side. I know not the best but it’ll suffice for now

I picked the crappy board up off the street (it’s just for my inital build). Later I’ll swap it out & use that piece for sound proofing.

3 Likes

Started building the Controller / Power Box today.
I decided to add a sliding plate that the driver board will be mounted on for easy access.
The power supply I’m not overly worried about, as it sits under the driver board.
I made sure there’s enough room for air flow while keeping the top half fully sealed to avoid dust.

The box will be mounted to a block of wood attached to the Y-Plate (as per image below)

Control Box completed and mounted.

1 Like

Anyone have an idea why my TFT E3 screen always says " no printer attached" even though it is.

I can push the touch screen and move through the menu but it does nothing. :frowning:

I flashed it so it’s running the V1E version firmware.

Go into the settings to connection and change the baud rate to 250000

1 Like

Ok that did it… Thanks

I notice a USB port on the side of the TFT screen. Does this allow me to disconnect from the driver board and control the machine via my laptop through the TFT screen ?

Next up:
I’ll try my hand engraving -
I’ve taken a vector illustration of Mickey Mouse out of Adobe Illustrator & into Estlcam.

Illustrator Tip: I started with WINDOW >> IMAGE TRACE & then had to select " EXPAND " which allowed me to select the path.
I then saved this out as a DXF file.
mickey0
mickey1

5 Likes