n00b question on setting carve depth in estlcam

So this is absolutely a n00b question, and I did google it first, but to no avail. I’m guessing it’s too basic of a question… like how do I turn on the computer? I’m hoping I’m just 100% overlooking which setting to use.

So I am still extremely new to my mpcnc, but I wanted to make my wife an easter sign. I went on google and found a nice looking but very simple “Happy Easter” image, turned it into a simple SVG.

I loaded it into estlcam and selected carve, and set it for the inside paths. Everything worked nicely, but I don’t know how I specify how deep for it to carve. It seemed to carve maybe 1mm deep, but I’m really just not sure how that’s set. I’m using a 1/8" milling bit and it did a nice looking carve, but like I said, I just don’t know where I’m able to say, carve it 1mm deep or 5mm deep for example. Like I said, I definitely get that this is a n00b question, and it’s driving me crazy that I haven’t been able to find it on my own already, so hopefully someone can help me figure this out!!

You can do it per path, toolpath depth, used if you have multiple cuts at different depths. Or you can set it at the end when you hit save cnc program, specify depth for all the unspecified cuts.

1 Like

I don’t see that option for carving. Is there another way to set it? Am I using an older version? I appreciate the help!

Oh, a carves width is set by the angle of your bit and the width of the “pocket”. Wider lines equal deeper carves.

Sorry some people use “carve” when they mean cut or mill.

1 Like

I know this is really old, but if you click the “preview” button, it lets you set the depth before the preview and that seems to stay when you “save CNC program”.