Need advice re rails/tubes - I'm purchasing on Monday

I run estlcam in wine in Linux. Some mac users were trying to follow suit, but IIRC, they just used a windows VM instead :frowning:

1 Like

I run both mac and windows and have worked with windows in parallels (windows OS on a mac) with good results if you haven’t tried that like @jeffeb3 is saying.

I admitted defeat in the mac world and scored someone’s old gamer window 10 desktop and a 28 inch lcd monitor for under $400 to do all my cnc and fusion work. It was a no brainer for me for ease, price and function. Loads of power for what I need from a few year old system.

You Mac guys should be able to run windows natively on your machines. There’s a way to install windows 10 side by side so you can boot either. That will at least take any performance or compatibility issues out of the equation.

That’s not any fun.

Actually modern VMs are pretty fast, even with accelerated graphics. On a lightweight program like Estlcam, it will be fine.

The big consequence of installing all of windows instead of a VM is the 80GB a windows installation will grow to in a couple of updates.

Well, heh, can’t argue with that!

Here’s a head scratcher for you.

I did some performance testing as a part of my work, and Parallels desktop (Windows VM for Mac) out-performs a native Windows installation on the same machine, provided that the Mac is otherwise idle.

My postulation is that there is some optimization going on in hardware management (Leaving it to the underlying BSD Unix on Mac OSX) as well as modern virtualization provisions in the CPU. One thing, however that you do not want to do is run something like VMWare player on the parallels. (I tried it, just to see. It didn’t want to even install, but there are ways to force it.

OS-ception.

So for Catalina, which Wine do I download? Do I have to install anything along with Wine to get ESLTcam up and running? Or it is only Wine, and then install the software inside of that?

I definitely can’t help you. I haven’t ever owned a mac, and my wine experience was just enough to get it working. I have the steps in a post around here somewhere. A search for linux, estlcam, and wine I’m sure will give you the few posts about it and probably the mac ones too.

Will have a search, thanks :slight_smile: Have been thinking about changing the windows 10 pc I mentioned earlier in to a Linux, might try that out.

Just been looking up Wine for Macs - looks good, but will have to wait until they have it working with Catalina OS. Apparently, it isn’t compatible with the newer mac OSs right now ‘due to its need for 32-bit support which Catalina doesn’t offer’.

But am looking forward to it, as I won’t need to install a windows OS in it, like other solutions such as Parallels, VM etc