New Build from Italy

Hi guys I’m Giorgio and this is the current state of my build,

I’ve printed all the components with my hypercube and I’m now trying to figure out how to use the mpcnc, i’m having problems with the endstops.
Please forgive my english and thank you for all the informations that you have shared till now

4 Likes

You can skip the endstops for now. They aren’t needed. Have you looked at the milling basics and tried to draw the test crown?

I’m looking at it and I’ve planned to do the test crown tomorrow morning, at the moment I’m dealing with the firmware and the steps per mm

Ciao Giorgio,

nice thing so far. Where have you found the cable chain STL which fits to your machine?

Greetings from Germany

I’ve used this

1 Like

Thank you for sharing. Your machine looks great. Where are you in Italy? I hope you and your family are well

Benvenuto @Giorgione. Il mio cuore soffre per tutti Italiani!

Did you purchase the endstop kit and control board from V1 Engineering? The firmware should be loaded and ready to go.

End stops work only for getting the initial squaring of the machine at the beginning. To home the X and Y axes, you need to get the tool closer than 250mm to each endstop.

@jdgreen I’m in Rome but we are safely at home for now tank you, @scrounge79 I had the endstops from a previus build they are not quite the same as the kit I guess… don’t now but they seem to trigger but the machine does not stop

I lived in Rome from 1983 to 1988, on the Gianicolo. I love Rome, but most of all, I love the Roman people. And I like Romana pizza better than Neapolitana. La Freschetta was may favorite place, but Ivo’s is great too.

1 Like

What did you do in Rome? Strangely i prefer neapolitan pizza…
I’ve did the crown test today but the outcome was awful my machine dimension are really off on every axis and it seems that my motors loose a step or two every now and then.

Share some photos of the machine, and the result. We can see a lot of problems that way.

here is the result of my crown test, tomorrow I will post more photos of the machine

It definitely seems stretched in one direction, and it has some backlash issues.

Regarding the backlash. Are your grub screws tight? Are your belts taught, at least?

Regarding the scale. What controller is it? If it is ramps, what drivers? It looks like about double on that one axis, so I am guessing maybe one axis is 1/16th microstepping and the other is 1/32nd. You should try sending just a movement of 100mm on X and Y and measure where it ends up. For the Z, start with something smaller that you can measure, like 20mm. Knowing exactly how far off can be a clue.

I will fix the stretchness with a few firmware tweacks and the belts seem pretty tight to me, I will try and fix them tommorrow
on the x axis I was shooting for 5cm and I’ve got 4.65
on the y axis I’ve got 6.3, it wan’t be a big deal

Studied theology at the Gregorian. Played a lot of calcio, watched a lot of TV to learn Italian, ate a lot of great food. Listened to some great concerts at Santa Cecilia and in many other venues. Saw Sting at the Flavio. Loved the beach at Ostia. Rode a Lambretta everywhere.

Those numbers seem really far off for such a short move. What are your current steps/mm settings?

Ok so I’ve sorted out the dimensions and the end stops, but know I’ve found a new issue: it seems like my x0 motor starts running half a second before the x1, the y gantry is working fine, i will post a video later if I can.

Funny, when I was visiting Italy, I kept finding (bad) American TV. I think I was watching Chips and the Love Boat.

Oh there was that for sure, but the classic Italian movies were always on and that was cool. Lots of French and German films that I had always wanted to see but never could over in the states.

I learned three vers rather quickly: firma ti. spriga ti. and of course, spoglia ti!

Did someone ever have a stepper motor lag problem?