New Build in Colorado Springs

Death by Zoom…ugh, I hear ya. Looking good so far!

Hey! I’m in Colorado Springs too. I am just making my first cuts now and I have tons more to learn.

Nice, more COS users!

I am expecting the electronics today, I bought the SKR with the LCD. Electronics are my least comfortable area so I am looking forward to trying that out a bit this weekend.

I ended up buying tubing online, I was able to get the exact lengths (2 60" and 4 12") and while I am sure I paid more then local I am just happy to have it ordered and on the way. :smiley:

Well I’m stalled at building a table top to hold the machine. I’ve gotten it all put together and even did a couple of “air” cuts watching the X and Z movements and the Y motors (as I don’t have belts on it yet).

Once it warms up and I can put together a top this whole thing is moving to the garage!

I bought 5’ tubing online so I should be able to build a 4’ wide cut area…but I’ve since realized that means I need to make a tabletop that is 56" wide…wow that’s a lot of space in the 1 car space :slight_smile:

just watch the wire connectors on that board some of the documentation is wrong. Ifound out the hard way.

You’re right - that’s a lot to absorb in a shared space. You might start with only using a 3’ wide area - in my dream of a full sheet table - I thought “yeah, I’ll be able to put full sheets down and cut parts crazy amounts in one go… then at this point, in my first year, I’ve realized that I am really only using a 24x24 area so far. Not that I won’t go full sheet in the future - but we are planning for a dedicated shop space for me - I’ll build the full sheet table then. For now I have taken two rolling 25"x54” tables and combined it for the 48x48 cutting area. But it does take a lot of space up in that little two car garage!

1 Like

It finally warmed up and I tackled building my table. It’s 3’x6’ and really flat (torsion style underneath). Now I need shorter tubes as these stick out to far and I don’t want to cut these as I’ll hope to use them another day when I expand the table :slight_smile:.

Once I get my new tubes I’ll have to fix up the sides and attach the belts and then I can really see what movement I can get.

2 Likes

what was the place you went to for your DOM? I’m starting a build here in Denver. I’d prefer to buy locally. Amazon has what I need for about $90, but… Amazon.

Metal Supermarkets Wheat Ridge
(303) 424-1030

I ended up buying mine online from https://www.onlinemetals.com/

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll check that out. Only 10 minutes from my house!