New build in Eger, Hungary

Hello everyone,

I didn’t find any Hungarian builds in this forum - I’m not surprised, this is a small country -, so let me be the first one. :slight_smile:

I’ve a 3D printer (Ender 5) for a year and I’m proud of myself because at this time I only printed functional parts which were self designed (using Fusion 360). However one thing always bothered me in terms of 3D printing: it just wasn’t enough strong. So I diceded to make a CNC router which - I hope so - will be capable to mill at least aluminium. The planned working area size is 330 x 330 x 70 mm (13 x 13 x 3"). The other thing is that as a computer programmer I was always interested in controlling machines and this will be a good opportunity to do so. :slight_smile:

Currently I’m printing the parts which had been sliced by Cura 4.6. I’m following the recommended infill percentage (almost every part has 55%) using 0.2 mm layer height and Cubic infill pattern. My filament is Gembird PLA (black). I’ve already printed more than 40 hours.

In terms of material sourcing the only hard part was to buy a 25 mm diameter tube as it’s not so common here (not to mention the other two sizes which are basically not existent). Fortunately here is a big steel wholesaler in the next city who sold me 6m (20’) precision hydraulic tube with 2 mm (0.078") wall thickness. I expect a lot from this tube as it has maximum 0.03 mm (0.001") error in it’s diameter along it’s entire length. The only drawback is that it isn’t stainless, but I will figure out something to solve this problem.

Parts list with price (shipping included):

• Crown CT13308 straight grinder (12000-27000 RPM, 600W) 13k HUF (38$)
  • 2 KG Gembird PLA black filament 13.5k HUF (42$)
  • 5 PCS NEMA 17 stepper 0.6 NM torque (84 oz-in) 15k HUF from Germany (46$)
  • 53 PCS 608 ZZ bearings from a sport shop which sell it as roller skates bearing replacement 6k HUF (18$)
  • Arduino MEGA 2560 clone, RAMPS 1.4 board and 5 PCS DRV8825 (2 for spare) 15,5k HUF (48$)
  • 4 PCS GT2 16T Pulley, 4m GT2 belt, T8 Leadscrew and nut, 5mm-8mm coupler 14,5k HUF (45$)
  • 6m 25 mm precision tube 8k HUF (25$)
  • Nuts and bolts which I didn’t have 1,5k HUF (5$)
  • Wires, zip ties, power supply 0 HUF (0$) - I have these

All in all it’s 87k HUF which is 267$.

I’m going to update this topic with the news.

3 Likes

Welcome! We look forward to seeing your build, and your projects! Don’t be afraid to ask for help if you run into any problems, and please take some time to poke around the forums and see what others are doing, and what problems people have run into.

Oh, and recipes for smoked meat (or grilled, or braised) are welcome, too. :smiley:

3 Likes

I don’t think you need stainless…The original US version uses mild steel electrical conduit, and apparently works just fine. I didn’t use stainless for my Lowrider, and don’t see that it matters.

3 Likes

I’d recommend 608 2RS instead of ZZ. ZZ’s only keep out the big stuff.

1 Like

I agree about the stainless. At the size you’re building, you’ll get back a lot of the rigidity other people give up going to mild. I used DOM with a thicker wall (1/8", 3.2mm) and I actually STOOD on the rails during assembly just because I could. I’m 200lb, give or take 5 depending on the day of the week and whether it’s eating season.
My build is only a bit smaller, so I have no doubts you’ll be able to straight murder alunimum on that.

1 Like

The 2RS type costs twice as much, so I thought I’ll give it a try with the ZZs and if some of them goes bad then I will change it to 2RS.

1 Like

Sorry guys, I meant that it isn’t galvanized. So in the near future it will be rusty. Maybe a little oil film preserve it.

I didn’t use galvinized either 8^) I used 4130 chrome-moly that had been sitting in a garage type environment for years. No rust issues yet.

I do live in a very dry borderline desert environment, though. Does Hungary have relatively high humidity?

I think I’d try wax rather than oil. I think oil might be prone to collecting dust, but then that might not be an issue if you plan to mill metal rather than wood.

1 Like

Today’s progress.

5 Likes

It works! :wink:

12 Likes

I remember the first time I made mine move. I could not believe it!

3 Likes

Awesome. What pattern is that?

Honestly I don’t know. It was made by my wife using Inkscape. However I’ve attached it (SVG).
sunflower.zip (3.5 KB)

1 Like

And here is a skull drawing. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Good practice with CAM wonderful outcome :clown_face:

1 Like

I’m finished with designing the tool mount for the Crown CT13308 straight grinder in Fusion 360. It consists of a lower and an upper part.

2 Likes

First test in parquet with 4 flute 6 mm bit… In the first pass it didn’t want to plunge into the material. After that I changed the plunge angle from 90° to 10° and it worked fine. I’m happy. :smiley:

6 Likes

Z probe test with aluminium foil. Will be changed to copper plate.

1 Like

Oh, I forgot to post a picture from the tool holder… So here it is.

3 Likes

Cutting cat contour. :cat:

Tool: 4 flute 6 mm HSS
Depth of cut: 3 mm / 1 mm passes
Feedrate: 8 mm/s
Plunge feedrate: 3 mm/s
Plunge angle: 10°
Stepover: 45%

IMG_20200530_133145

5 Likes