New build in Germany

Yeah, I am also worried about the wobble. I guess for the beginning 6mm endmills is all I will use and if I get the hang with them, I will see what my options are.
Would be awesome if you could report back with your experience.

Thanks will check that out.

Are you sure the collet is 6mm and not 1/4"?

Yes. It says so on the product page. I do believe the american version has a 1/4" collet though I am not sure about that.

FWIW I ended up getting a Bosch, and picking up a collet from http://www.elairecorp.com/
They are more expensive than the aliexpress ones, but they’re just as good as OEM so no worries about wobble. They make various sizes for most brands of routers.

1 Like

Here you see the results of using the collett adapter:

The engraving on top is done by a 1/8" 30 degrees engraving bit, placed in the router with the mentioned adapter in the stock 6 mm collett.

It honestly works quite well. Once the mill dropped down into the work piece, very much likely because I didn’t tighten the collett screw enough.

But I wonder - would the results be even nicer with a proper 1/8" collett from Elaire?? Who knows? Is it worth it? http://www.elairecorp.com/makitaroutercollets.html

Nice parts. They look amazing.

I also found these here. I heard good things from Sorotec and also plan to source end mills from them. Also 9€ doesn’t seem alot to me and their endmills are also priced within reason.

https://www.sorotec.de/shop/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=reduzierhülse

Also on my part printing comes along well, the table is finished and I gotta say the Makita router already payed off. Even if I won’t use it in the MPCNC for long, it is a great machine to smooth out corners and I love it. But first I gotta save up some more. This project develops into a bigger money drain than I expected. I need a table therefore I need (want) a circular saw, but I can only work in the evening when it is dark so I need a proper light and a cable roll because there is no plug around. It just goes on and on :D. So far this turned into a huge justification to buy more and more tools.

You say that like it’s a bad thing…

2 Likes

Shaneh: “Can you build me a $thing?”
Me: “I need a $tool.”

2 Likes

When I got married, I told my wife that my motto was “Every project requires the purchase of a new tool.”

I’ve mostly kept up my end of that deal. :wink:

1 Like

I actually sold my gaming pc to upgrade to a better 3d printer - I don’t regret it at all. It’s much better for my mental health to play with tinkering and creating stuff, than vegetating in front of a screen. The new obession on the other hand - is like you say, needing more tools to make things so that the machine can machine the parts for new machines - and so on and so on… a real life game for grown-ups!

1 Like

When I met my wife I was studying stage management and technical theater with access to a fully equipped scene shop. One of the first gifts I gave her was to solve an ergonomic issue with her desk that I threw together in a few minutes in that shop.

A couple of years later, after graduating, we were watching New Yankee Workshop , and she said “Why don’t you make that sort of stuff for me anymore?” and I said “Okay, let’s estimate the cost of each tool he uses to get that done.” I went the Stage Management rather than tech carpenter path, so didn’t have shop access anymore.

Been equipping my home shop for a while now, and with the exception of a couple of uni-taskers (can’t justify a standalone mortiser or dedicated pocket screw cutting table) and settling for home-size rather than industrial capacity (little bandsaw rather than resawing monster), I think I could probably pull off most of Norm’s projects. Then again, he didn’t have a K40 laser “engraver” or 3D printer to play with. MPCNC is next on my “play” list.

2 Likes

“Every start of a project requires the purchase of a new tool.”

Fixed it for you.

1 Like

I don’t know. Probably better to wait until you figure out what tool the job needs. Saves you from buying useless tools.

I just meant I don’t always finish the job. So I have more tools than finished jobs.

3 Likes

That is not the point the one with most tools wins🙀

3 Likes

“If a man says he’s going to [finish a project] he’ll do it. There’s no need for his wife to remind him about it every six months.”

5 Likes

My wife is impressed that I’m putting an old laptop to use, as a controller running repetier/cnc.js. She’s claimed that it’ll never get used again, and that we should get rid of it. That was 8 years ago. And now - lo and behold - it’s useful again!

1 Like

My dad talked to Norm for about an hour before one of his talks at Ohio State way long time ago. 99% of the tools on his show are donated. They get a duplicate for Norm’s personal shop at home. When they build projects, they do it three times. First time to figure everything out, second time the project goes home with him, third time is for the show, and usually gets donated, or auctioned for pbs. For a long time if Norm cut himself, they’d stop production until the cut healed. They don’t do that as much anymore.

2 Likes

http://shop.jimmydiresta.com/diresta-letterpress-poster-id-rather-have-it/

1 Like