New build in Las Vegas, NV

My first CNC build. Have access to a Shopbot at the local Makerspace, but think this is a great way to learn on a smaller scale to get experience.

24"x24" build, 3" Z. Cut sizes from the online calculator allow this to fit on two 10’ conduit pieces -> 874mm * 3, 267mm * 1, 64mm *2 per piece. Table size is 3’x3’. Used 2’x4’ sheets for the top to have a 2’ slide in spoilboard and 6" fixed on each side.

Ordered the parts kit with mini-rambo and all delivered promptly. Decided based on other forum posts to order the full Rambo and wiring so will have both boards to test with and try endstops.

Parts printing ongoing, enough are completed to start the base build and Z axis.

[attachment file=112296]
[attachment file=112294]
[attachment file=112295]

6 Likes

Gateway CNC. Maybe that will be the name for the next version.

9hrs into the 13hr print for a gantry piece…My son starts installing Octoprint on a new PI for his Flashforge. Somehow in the confusion he manages to browse to my Octoprint server instead. He can’t figure out why the initial web login / setup isn’t there so then SSHs to the PI (one of mine, not his), does a reset of OctoPrint and credential clear. Now I’m sitting in the office wondering why my print is just stopped. Little blob is where the extruder sat patiently waiting for the next command. Check and Octoprint is back at a setup screen :frowning: Go chase him around the house.

[attachment file=112352]

1 Like

ahhhhhh bummer. At my last apartment I had power outages all the time. It was devastating to wake up to 6 stopped printers 9 hours into a 10 hour part set. Basically 60 hours wasted and a bunch of plastic going in the trash.

As a father and a tinkerer. I have to say you should be very proud. My son is only 4.5yo, but I hope that someday he can ssh into one of my projects and ruin it by using the right commands to reset the setup. I think it’s fair to say that I’d have to think of about 100 people in my family before I can think if one that could do that (ok, my wife might be able to, but then it’s. 100).

Change your password on the pi, first thing.

1 Like

A little disassembly needed today. All excited last night that I’d be close to starting a crown test. Went to install the Z into the gantry and found a problem:

[attachment file=113028]

Didn’t follow the picture guides close enough and now realize that 4 of the nuts/bolts in the middle need to face the other direction (head out) or else the tool mount won’t clear. Hadn’t noticed before as I was reprinting the correct tool mount part (first did 4mm instead of -32) so skipped putting these two assemblies together.

2 Likes

I know it is a small thing, but connecting to my Octoprint servers and doing command line stuff is really a cool experience. It gives this sense of control that in the rest of my life is rare.

I wish all students could learn how to set up a Linux server for something or other. So many options. I know that the whole gaming servers, especially Minecraft, are gateways to this.

Having Octoprint for your printers and for the MPCNC just makes such a more efficient workflow.

Linux was part of our field session in college. It was two weeks, I think. It didn’t sink in until.I used it for work though. Ssh is one of the super powerful command line utilities that are the unsung heroes. Along with bash, grep, sed, awk, gcc. How was I ever satisfied with windows? :smiley:

1 Like

After disassembling the gantry TWICE today - (all 8 of the bolts need to have the head out) I got everything back together late tonight. Have the wiring, some drag chain, and such to complete but couldn’t resist trying a quick crown following the guide (After having fun just moving the gantry around with the control panel).

Printed up a pen mount, ran a quick toolpath to estimate the location, taped down a notepad, and started to plot. For just a rough tape down, thick sharpie marker, and no adjustments this turned out incredibly well. I haven’t measured the height or squared yet.

[attachment file=113258]

Dremel is on the way, hoping to get dirty this weekend.

4 Likes

More fun playing with the pen today waiting for the dremel to arrive. Making sure all is working before I start cleaning up and lacing the wiring in. Working great at this stage.

[attachment file=113494]
[attachment file=113493]

3 Likes

Still working on wiring and deciding if I want to install the endstops and Rambo (using mini currently).

But tool came in today so followed through the intermediate guide and just used foam to test. I knew thickness was not the same as the example but figured a great way just start learning and wanted to see how it would turn out.

Not sure why the outer area on the top and front was too thin (except on the bottom that was just making the zero xy too close), but aside from that I like it.

[attachment file=113918]

5 Likes

It looks like you maybe slipped a bit to the north west in that picture.

Probably just user error on how I went through the toolpath setup in Estlcam in trying to follow the guide. This was my first time using and the screen/menu/wording have changed. Looking at it has to be my fault as even the tabs are set based on the carved outer layer and not the extra raised outer layer that should be present. The actual cuts it did are excellent.

Will try a simple square or such next.

[attachment file=113925]
[attachment file=113926]

2 Likes

Ok, I can see that.

More progress.

Rewired with the endstops and individual stepper cabling.

Reflashed Rambo with dual endstop firmware.

Have to figure out best way to route the tool power cord.

Going to make some longer cables to go from the Rambo to LCD. Want to mount the display on the lower front of the table but currently too short with the Rambo mounted towards the back.

Tested a makeshift Z probe to see how that part of the script/code works and was able to get it going.

Searching through the advice section but haven’t found this information yet. What are the commands to setup/test the X and Y homing to endstop zeros? The information section I see has how to set the offset of the alternate stop, but what’s the initial process? Will keep looking for that.

This is what I have so far in the start script from the other posts and only using Z probe.

G90
G21
M84 S0 ; No stepper timeout
; Next command makes it not use endstops
G92 X0 Y0 Z0
; COMMAND_TOOL_MEASURE
M0 Attach ZProbe ; Prompt on LCD to continue
G28 Z ; Start probing
G92 Z1 ; Offset in MM here is 1mm for probe thickness
G0 Z10 F300 ; Raises up 10mm after touching.
M400
M0 Detach ZProbe ; Prompt on LCD to continue
; *** START end ***

[attachment file=114461]

1 Like

M119 from a terminal window, like from pronterface or repetier host will tell you if you have them wired right. You should see all 5 and they should only be TRIGGERED when you press them. Then you should be able to make sure the one next to X2 is correctly labelled X2 and so on.

After that, G28 X or G28 Y will home one direction at a time.

Thanks. I’m already good on the M119 and those match.

28 X or G28 Y are what I was looking for and will test tonight.

First wood cut completed today! Making a sideframe box for the emergency stop switch.

G28 X and G28 Y commands work perfectly to home and then G28 Z to level.

[attachment file=114824]

first-cut-8x.mp4 (3.45 MB)

4 Likes

Case side milled. Cuts are good, but again have to see what I did wrong in toolpath to not get the outer raised side. I think I’m selecting the wrong inside cut line. Still making progress and CNC is working perfectly!

[attachment file=115034]

2 Likes

Success!

[attachment file=“115057”]

5 Likes