New build in Las Vegas, NV

Has anyone added a M0 prompt command or such to the end of the run? I’m finding that after finishing the tool moves back to the zeros, but then gravity drops the bit into the material or bed due to the steppers releasing. Off to search the forums.

Nice. I have been showing my first LCD side in wood and in foam and people can’t believe it is from a home made machine. Yours look nice and pretty smooth.

Now the hard part is to come. Learning these toolpaths. I spent the past three hours figuring out the best way to cut a 4mm circular groove about 13 inches in diameter 5mm deep in plywood. My first projects kept timing out in CNCjs. Broke it up into several operations and then tweaked the milling strategy to make it a bit more manageable. Still barely know what I’m doing.

I’m really happy how the first test turned out. This was in pine which is hard to get clean edges and I did not use any finishing passes. Will move on to that next and switching to a nicer hardwood for the actual case pieces I’ll use. I mirrored the left.dxf in Fusion 360 and will mill both the left and right tomorrow.

Using Estlcam for now and doing well with it on the simple operations. After going through the intermediate guide and then several of the Youtube videos I’ve got it mostly figured out. Had to find simple stuff like where the delete/undo for toolpaths that working through now makes sense, but for a while what should have been obvious was confusing. Would be nice if the Estlcam preview was more like a 3d print buildup output in reverse where you could see as a solid how the result progresses. I can’t really tell from the output with lines all over showing the toolpaths how that will look in the end.

1 Like

Are you using Estlcam? There is a setting that turns the motors off at the end of a run. Just uncheck that box and they will stay energized something like 20-30 minutes.

1 Like

Case finished!

[attachment file=115815]

For the end of program, I couldn’t find the setting Bill mentioned above, but it worked perfectly to add this to the Program End section of Estlcam.

M0 “End Press continue”

4 Likes

That makes me smile even more than the crown!

First try at the Aztec calendars. I used Estlcam with multiple sections so that I could do a part at time. Thanks to various users who posted their settings on the Facebook forum. Dual endstop repeatability was excellent. I ran into an issue at the end with the final cutout of the circle. For some reason it shifted left about 1/4". Maybe something on using a different tool. Will experiment more on just that outer ring on a test piece.

9 Likes

WOW!

Just WOW!

For some reason the “new post” link took me to the top of this post, so I just read all the way through it. Nice build! Also ssh keys! None of that pesky user/pass stuff…

Sweeeeeeeeet!