New build in Mass

Hi All,

I am about to start printing the parts while saving the play money up for the parts! Super excited. I think my first build might be 18x30 inches. I want to go bigger, but reworking pipe and belts alter seems easy.

let the fun begin.

1 Like

Glad to see a lot of ppl from mass here. Good luck with your build, will be on the lookout for updates!

1 Like

It’s starting!! The first round of printing.

BBEC8F39-E08E-49CD-BDCC-503C8646F1A6.jpeg

2 Likes

That fun moment at the end of 2 day print… 10% left and something comes unstuck from the bed…

I was trying to be efficient and print multiple parts at once.

Yikes, the print limit of my nerves seem to be 8-10 hours max, longer than that and I get to high strung.

Hah. I did make huge progress on getting the skr1.3 working with TMC2209s today. That will have to do for now. I am going to pause printing MPCNC parts for a few days and go back to 3D printing turning pen molds. I do enjoy when one hobby pays for another, it elevates the game.

I will keep reading!

1 Like

Super excited, I just ordered the mpcnc parts. I still have more to print, but I am more than 2/3rds of the way there.

1 Like

Making progress! I have one more part to print tonight.

ryan also shipped out my parts!

2 Likes

woo hoo, my parts just arrived. thank you Ryan! I have to be dad the rest of the day…I am itching to start assembling this and see what I messed up so far.

Don’t Dads get to act funny and super interesting while assembling something they think is fun and super interesting? Screwing around and making a kid laugh is way better than a CNC I promise, it will still be there when they get some sleep!

1 Like

Some people build models that sit on a shelf and look cool. I build things that give me problems to solve. Between 3D printing being too easy and wood having way more soul than plastic I am super excited for this. My current plans are to use the Cnc to 1) rough cut non ferrous metals for my knife handle spacers, 2) v carve inlays… maybe, and 3) carving patterns into wood that can be cast with resin for things like pen turning /knife handles.

PS I think it would be fun to add a 4th axis to the mpcnc. That will probably be after I add a dual extruder to my ender3.

That new child is the perfect project for you then :).

There were some really neat projects with a rotational axis a while ago. They weren’t exactly 4 axis, because they replaced the Y with rotate. But you could do things like engraving on a cylinder. It wasn’t actually that complicated and they used the software we already have. Actual 4 axis needs software that can understand it. I’m not sure what software will. Not Marlin, at least.

1 Like

I need to get this up and running. 4th axis was just a lofty goal that looks cool, like 3 color 3D printers. Hopefully I can pick up the conduit next week.

Welcome to my world. I started the MPCNC Journey about a year ago. Since then I’ve bought a house, moved, I have 3 separate 3D printers with issues that I’m slowly resolving/upgrading, and my MPCNC just never quite gets “there”. Today’s project is installing permanent, individually addressable LED strips on the front of the new house… why take them down when I can just change the color or pattern to fit the current time of year?

2 Likes

Welcome to my world. I started the MPCNC Journey about a year ago. Since then I’ve bought a house, moved, I have 3 separate 3D printers with issues that I’m slowly resolving/upgrading, and my MPCNC just never quite gets “there”. Today’s project is installing permanent, individually addressable LED strips on the front of the new house… why take them down when I can just change the color or pattern to fit the current time of year?

1 Like

Geoffrey, please share when you’re done. That sounds like an awesome project. Good enough to convince me to maybe actually put up christmas lights. I don’t have many projects that actually work for multiple years though… I can’t imagine being outside will help much.

ok, the conduit is here, and the rollers slide on. the rollers roll on the conduit, but are not free flowing.

next up, I need to cut the conduit up. I even designed an endcap / wire protection.

look, I am using an emoji, just to get a badge :wink:

1 Like

:+1: :clap:

1 Like

Hey Ben- Another Mass MPCNC build! Awesome. If you need any help, reach out. My 24x24 has been making chips (and dollars) for a few months now. Good luck!

2 Likes

Thank you. I am sure I will have all sorts of questions later. I am totally new to CnC. I just need the time to run through the instructions.