New build in Melbourne, Aust

Hey there,

Thought I'd introduce myself. I'm planning a build of an MPCNC here in Melbourne. 

The plan is:

• 600x600 build area
  • Use chrome plated steel curtain rods (25.4) from our local big box hardware store (Bunnings)
  • Use the banggood spindle recommended on Nikodem’s YT channel
  • Use the ESP32 based controller (the one linked from this site)

The aim is to mainly machine timber (first job will be new dash for my car) but want eventually to do thin ali and plastic too.

Keen for any pointers or feedback on my plans so far!

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Tim

Mark here and from Moorabbin in Melbourne. I am currently building my own woodshop in a small factory in Moorabbin. Thinking of adding a CNC to increase business opportunities. If interested in sharing resources and financial burden feel free to get in touch.
Cheers Mark
invisiblesun@protonmail.com

Welcome! Hope you’re wintering the plague well…

Do you know the wall thickness of the rods you’re looking at? I would think they may not be up to the task, but I’ve been co(s)mically wrong before. If you can find a steel distributor in town, you’d likely end up with better material (albeit at a slightly higher cost).

What’s the mass on the spindle? I’m “at work” right now, and YT is, well, not available through the corporate VPN…

600mm x 600mm is a bit on the large side, especially if your rails are sub-standard. You’ll probably need mid-span supports to prevent too much flex on the X/Y rails. You’re kind of stuck with the flex on the gantry rails, though. Even more importantly, what’s your needed Z height? That’s often a real killer. Keep that as small as feasible. If you need it to be tall, try to keep as much of your work up near the gantry as possible with additional spoilboards and shims.

All that being said, nothing is impossible, and if you’re willing to work at it (and work with your machine), you’ll be able to produce some quality work. I sometimes feel like I’m trying to discourage people from their plans, but in reality, I’m trying to manage expectations. You’re not going to slap together a huge rig with flimsy tubes and a brick of a spindle, and expect to be carving thumb-sized replicas of the Sydney Opera House out of Aluminium by the end of the day. :wink:

Hi,
Thanks for the feedback guys. With regard to the tubes, they appear to be between 1-1.5mm wall, but if there is too much flex I can swap out for the galvanised tube of the same diameter. The chrome stuff had a smoother finish so I assumed would run smoother.
And on the z-axis I’m not wanting too much - 50mm of travel would probably be fine.
Cheers,

Tim

Thanks. I’d be interested in hearing if you’ve found a reasonably priced supplier of the hardware - I was going to order the steppers from V1 but the shipping costs were huge.
I’m in the SE suburbs too (just a little further out) so would be keen to bulk buy components with you if that works for you.
Cheers,

TIm

Hi from the Sunshine Coast! I’m about as far off starting as the Queensland is from Victoria but will watch with interest, I’m particularly to see how you guys go with procurement! 25.4mm polished stainless tubing seems to be fairly readily available in Aus via eBay if you are interested.

Cheers!

Thanks Peter.

The s/s pipe I’ve seen is quite pricey from ebay from what I have seen. I’m attempting to use the 25.4mm chromed curtain rod and see how that goes. And sub in s/s if I need.

Cheers,
Tim

Tim, just curious to see how your build is going and what and how your sourced your hardware?

I’m still months away, but trying to avoid reinventing the wheel!

cheers!

Also from the Sunshine coast! Mixing my setup with 25mm bright solid bar (very nice surface) for X and Y (I have 1200x1200 setup I am working on) 25.4mm stainless 1.6 for the Z.
Will be using my table primarily as a cnc plasma table - so the longer span on the Z should not be that critical. Stainless tube was $10/meter (stainless steel supplier Caboolture) - the bright bar was $22/meter (steel merchant Geebung).

Cheers

Hi Nols,
down on the Gold Coast here, I’m Looking to make one of these at 1200x600x300 :slight_smile:

Did you use Solid for the Gantry aswell, Just wondering on how the Rigidity over the 1200 is if I use Stainless Tube for the gantry and Solid for the Frame. Your thoughts?

Knotty

Hi Knotty.

Only used the solid for the outside rails - kept the gantry light based on advice received on the forum.

Still in construction phase so will be measuring the rigidity soon of the Gantry over the length (1450mm in my case). I am planning to use it for plasma cutting so a bit of flex in height will not be as critical. If I was planning on milling then that would be a different story.

Nols

Coolies,
That’s my reading of it as well.
Looking at Solid for the Immovable parts, and Tube (not sure if I’ll go Aluminium or Stainless) for the moving parts.

Thnx

If you can find a heavy gauge aluminium with less weight and same or better rigidity then go that way. have not done that research yet.
Stainless on the other hand is readily available.

Aluminum will not hold up against the bearings. It is too soft. If you’re trying to save money from the stainless, go with cheaper steel. DOM.

1 Like

Makes Sense to me, I was just looking to make the gantries as light as possible.

Mild Steel it is :slight_smile:

Hey guys thought I’d post an update.

I’ve gone with the 25mm (actually 25.4) galvanised steel pipe out of Bunnings (around 25 for 3m length)
And just bought the steppers from ebay - 59Ncm Nema17s (ebay item 174138007483) and gone with the Dewalt spindle.
All the bits are printed now, and have just received the bolts from the local bolt place (they delivered the lot for $10) and have the bearings from an earlier ebay order.
Now to start assembly and see how we go!
Cheers,

Tim

1 Like

Hi Tim… Any update on your progress? I’m in Oakleigh and the process of assembling a Primo now and I’m interested in the tubes you used. I went for the 2.54mm galvanised tube from Bunnings (Search: 1130448). Is this the same one you used and if so, how are you finding it for rigidity?

Hi,
I haven’t assembled yet so can’t comment. Waiting on a few more bits before I get cracking. I’ve got the ESP32 controller on order at the moment.
What spindle are you going for? I was toying with the Dewalt but will probably go with the Makita equivalent because it’s easy to get here.
Cheers,

Tim

1 Like

I haven’t made up my mind but I’m contemplating a Makita knock-off from ebay. I’ll probably go with a Rambo board (or equivalent).

I did a rough assembly today of everything and the whole unit feels pretty rigid (albeit without a tool attached) so I’m hoping it should be fine but I guess I won’t know until I get everything attached.