New Build in Minneapolis, MN

It’s not a well-worn as the DeWalt path, but it’s far from overgrown… I’ve even seen a recent pic or two with a RotoZip in them. They are fine. The biggest issues I’ve seen people have with them is their odd shape (the DeWalt is round, the RotoZip… not quite so much), some alignment issues (nothing seems to stack up to the DW for concentricity and low runout in this price/form factor), and horrible bits. Seriously, make sure the RotoZip bits are in a drawer, preferably in a different room, before you even mount it in your MPCNC.

Hell, I’ve got a Dremel 395 that’ll be pressed into service when I finally get around to tackling the rest of those damned Dupont connectors for the wiring harness. Once I get comfortable with the machine, and what I can/want/will do with it, I’ll look into dropping the coin on a DeWalt. Maybe even as a birthday present to myself.

Well that kind of vixes that. Ryan just stated on his MPCNC2020 thread that he will not be providing kits for the Burly anymore. New version only. I’m going to have to looking into finding my own parts I guess.

What does this do? And do I need it? Or would I want it? Who here uses it? Do you like it?

Next topic. Who here also uses a laser on their MPCNC? What do I need to know when building my Burly ahead of time to make sure I’m wired right for both a mill and a laser?

I built 2 sorry

You need to tell the machine where the top of the work is. This plate will let it measure that, because it will drop the Z until the bit touches the plate. It is not necessary, and takes some learning to figure out, but it is also cheap, and can help you get more repeatable Z offset. It is especially useful when you are using multiple bits on the same job, so each but gets its height set identically.

Thanks Jeff

So for your laser build what things did you do you liked and what things would you do different if you built another one?

For a dedicated laser it was to large so I used a open builder’s platform lighter duty and fits in a smaller footprint only 2 axis. I also perfboarded my driver and laser diode now I would purchase a cheaper one from Amazon or such GRBL all the way for laser marlin is catching up but it’s to late for me to switch

Liked
Inexpensive
Easy to get tool mounts
Well documented (not for lasers then but much better now)

Disliked
To large for my area gantry system just overkill
Marlin was not laser friendly

Biggest
I use the CNC. To much to swich back and forth . Didn’t want to mount laser to dusty router it is in it’s own room. They are both fire starters so neither can be left alone

Thank Tim that’s good advice. I’m going to start looking into a dedicated laser unit.

Getting Organized and ready to begin dry fitting.

Bearings in.

Middle assembly together and loose. Thought I had two spacers but only have one. I’ll need to fire up the printer!!!

4 Likes

Hey, I did the same thing. Put all the different parts in zip locks.

Still trying to reuse them all 6 months later :wink:

Damn James nice Northern. What is that 40 inches? ish? I’m sure it gets bigger every time you tell the story. LOL… Is that a Canada Pike or an American? French or English which is it?

Yeah labeled baggies was the only way I could think to keep them organized. Or… it’s a profound case of OCD… One or the other.

That was a nice one. Yes a Northern, did not measure. But it was probably 30 inches. However, it was on one of the best fishing days I ever had.

Since you might appreciate it, here is my personal best. Muskie, on Lake of the Woods. A three day drive across the country. Get ready…

Not a 50, but close.

4 Likes

That’s a gorgeous Musky James. That’s the one I’ve been hunting all my life. I live in Minnesota and I have a place on Mille Lacs. Started seriously hunting musky last year. So far its all been learning and no catching. LOL… My wife has caught a 39 inch Northern. That’s the best we have done so far.

I plan to do dual endstops. Are there any additional parts that need to be printed for that?

This weekend’s progress.

3 Likes

Started a new primo build in Minneapolis my self. How’s your build going?

I bought a ender 3 v2 to print mpcnc. And then I’ll use mpcnc to build mp3dp. I think we all here have solved chicken and egg problem, at the least!