New build Pensacola, FL

Power wasnt wired backwords, nothing visably burnt. everything was double and tripple checked. the only thing i can see was posibly a bridged solder joint on the mega board from the factory. but i would think that would have shown up when i powered it via usb. i used the power supply i got in my kit from ryan so idk. i even checked the power supply and its putting out 12.8v so i honestly dont know what i did wrong. no end stops were wired in. just the 3 serial stepper motors and their drivers were all thats on it.

thats what worries me. i downloaded the teaching tech version as thats where i got the idea to go with that board but even it fails to compile using his technique so idk where to go from here. i cant win for losing it seems.

I’ve got the configuration files that worked with compiling Marlin 2.xx for the SKR 1.3 on my computer at home. I use TMC 2209’s, so you would have to change up the configs to match your setup and compile.

i just found a precompiled firmware by searching skr on here and found the teaching tech thread for it. but when i hook it up as soon as i go to move it i get an error “Testing X connection…Error: ALL HIGH” so yet again one step forward 2 steps back lol.

if yours will work and its something simple i can do to change over to these tmc5160 stepper drivers ill for sure give it a go.

What kind of drivers do you have on the SKR? You need to adjust the jumpers so it can talk to the drivers. It sounds like Marlin can’t talk to the drivers, so either the wrong drivers are set, or the jumpers aren’t in the right place.

i have TMC5160 and all the jumpers removed. im running the firmware from this post… Teaching Tech Skr 1.3
I chose the Y to the front of the table. the only driver i have on the board and the only stepper hooked up is the X as its the only one thats straight wired at the moment. when i try to just move it 1mm i get that error.

I’m pretty sure you need jumpers in there. Let me see if I can find where…

https://github.com/bigtreetech/BIGTREETECH-SKR-V1.3/blob/master/BTT%20SKR%20V1.3/SKR%20V1.3-Instructions.pdf

These pages aren’t numbered, but it shows the jumpers for SPI drivers on pg 5 or so. It has the title “TMC2130-SPI”

Do you have the SKR plugged into 12v power or just pulling from USB power? I scratched my head for an hour and a half when things weren’t initializing correctly just having the SKR plugged into USB power. I was just trying to get the drivers to talk to the SKR and kept getting similar errors with the M122 command.

1 Like

Thanks!!! Ill give this a try!

I have it plugged into 12v power supply (yay didnt fry anything this time! LOL) and im using the touch screen to try and move it. going to give the jumpers a try and hopefully thats it.

Thanks again to everyone helping me! ill keep reporting back and hopefully be able to get it running soon!

It was the jumpers. that and all 5 drivers had to be installed no matter how many steppers were actually hooked up. Got the X axis to move so we are getting somewhere. now to finish up wiring and get everything else moving as it should. Thanks again for all the help. Im sure ill need a lot more before its all over with.

1 Like

There are some experimental preconfigured firmwares being produced for SKR1.3 by this effort:

The nightly builds are collecting here.

These are configured for DRV8825-s so you’d have to change the drivers in the configuration and recompile.

After posting in another thread I decided to just order the actual Rambo board. The shop is sold out so I had to go elsewhere but at least I know I can easily install Ryan’s firmware on it and be good to go. I have it running on the skr now but I don’t think it’s right so want to go with something known good and take that problem out of the equation

2 Likes

I hate that you are having all these trouble but it speaks to your dedication man!

Is it true you have a MKS Gen 1.4? As far as I can tell it is equivalent to MKS Gen L, which is what I use. And that in turn is nearly identical to RAMPS (not Rambo) but with layout on one board instead of two stacked boards like a true RAMPS (and it would seem better reliability).

You should be able to start with ryan’s software, change the motherboard in configuration.h and get very close.

I would recommend some JST-XH pigtails spliced on to your motor connectors. The dupont connectors sorta fit on the MKS Gen 1.4 (or Gen L) but they easily fall out or make a bad connection. It’s extra work but worth it.

Thanks! the cnc runs but i feel it should be much better than it is. from videos and post i have seen mine is not putting near the quality as it should. ill get it there just a lot of learning to do along the way.

This is the board i have at home:

And these drivers:

i thought this was equivalent to the same board that Ryan sells just with separate drivers. and i have seen that driver number thrown out several times on the forums so i thought i was choosing right. i was trying to avoid the +$100 board option but i want something that’s going to work right so i can take that problem out of the loop and start fixing the rest one at a time.

i feel like from the way the cnc moves just trying to move it on its own that the firmware im running on the SKR board just isn’t right. Trying to figure that out was going to give me a brain tumor so i decided to take that out of the loop and try something more widely supported until i learn more about it all.

TMC2208 can work but they have more features and more things can go wrong. Since they are cheap I would say buy some DRV8825 or A4988. Install the jumpers on the MKS Gen V1.4 and make sure the motor drivers are facing the right way. Use Ryan’s latest 418 for Rambo and change one line: search for “MOTHERBOARD” in configuration.h and change to reflect your board. Flash, and you should be done, or maybe a small change like steps per mm or something we can debug fairly easily from there.

Thanks! ill search on amazon and get a set coming.