New Build - Sydney Australia

https://www.bunnings.com.au/metal-mate-25-x-1mm-3m-aluminium-round-tube_p1079454

bunnings :slight_smile: i think i bought 2x3m and cut them with a cheap pipe cutter

the only catch with aluminium is the scratches show up, but it works fine and is easy to cut.

Thanks.

1 Like

Forgot to ask are you doing routing, will frame handle it? Or you doing light stuff knife,laser etc?Plan on a 500w spindle and a plasma on mine.

I’m planning on doing routing with a Makita. Haven’t starting making dust yet as cleaning up the wiring and waiting on some vacuum kit.

I’ve not seen any issue so far with the frame, those pipes are pretty sturdy even though they are light.

So far the issue I’m seeing is with the base board, given its not attached yet it’s started to warp slightly from the weather.

Keep an eye on the thread for some pics of routing tests soon!

1 Like

Z axis cable chain done. Using EHutch7 mounts from here: MPCNC Primo Cable Chain Mounts by Ehutch7 - Thingiverse

6 Likes

Link to FluidNC config here - FluidNC Primo Config for FYSETC-E4 board

1 Like

Looks like mine. :stuck_out_tongue: Neat.

Spoil board inserted tonight. Totally should have followed the guidance to do that before assembling :slight_smile:
X axis cable chain done. Y chain tomorrow and some cleanup then should be time to start test cuts.

I bought a bunch of router bits from endmill.com.au which have added $162 to the running total. I’ve kind of lost track of costs now, what with a vacuum, an ebay cyclone, extra jumper wires, aluminium rails for the cable chains, zip ties, cable braid, extra mdf, test foam and probably other stuff I forgot. I’ll actually do the numbers soon and see where I’m at.

wiring/cable chains all done. ready to re calibrate and level the new spoil board.

1 Like

custom little box for the fysetc-e4 and some jumpers to the cnc wiring. haven’t decided where i’ll mount that yet.

3 Likes

Foam test carve with facing bit and tool path built in Fusion360 :slight_smile:

Works like a bought one.

Next is surfacing the spoil board and making some dog holes + clamps.

2 Likes

Don’t do it! Not unless you have plenty of liquid courage at hand to deal with the psychic pain it’ll cause, not to mention when the accounting department gets wind of those numbers (and they will, no matter how quickly you may try to destroy the evidence)…

1 Like

Lots of updates!

Have added x min and y min endstops, so now I’m able to home the machine automatically.

Did a first carve today with an endmill to make dog holes for clamping. Then ran a surface run over the top of the board.

Had my first incident, forgot that I’d zero’d the Z axis and plowed the surfacing bit down into the spoil board. Now my spoil board has a nice 16mm hole at x0y0.

I have a XYZ probe to start testing out tomorrow, then time to find something to make wth this thing.

Posterity pic before making an extra unwanted hole :slight_smile:

4 Likes

We need to see the aftermath with the 16mm hole now.
You will only do it once or twice in my case :slight_smile:
Looking like a nice clean build. Let me know how the dog holes work out for you I’m thinking I will go the same route.

Here you go :slight_smile: It’s actually 22mm diameter and 16mm down, but it shuddered when it got low so its actually undercut a lip by about 1-2mm. You can see the results from the facing run as well, not sure if the tiny ridges are just a side effect of the bit or if there is still some tuning to do.

It has turned out really clean build wise. I’m really happy with the wiring and cable chains too, first time soldering and running cables neatly and it’s turned out really well. Makes it look like something a bit more professional than when I first started!

3 Likes

ive decided my first carving will be a circular 22mm x 16mm plug :slight_smile: reminds me of how all the stuff you see on thingiverse is for 3d printer accessories

3 Likes

You can always leave it as is and use it to change out larger/longer bits. :grin: But I guess the dog holes can be used for the same thing.

I’m actually going to do that :slight_smile: changing long bits at x0y0 makes sense with a hole there…

1 Like

finally wired up the xyz probe. i think i’ll skip clamp carving and go straight to some wood before my family get tired of the tweaking

1 Like

Have been making signs for friends and to test things out. After doing a couple I’ve realised I have a slight slant going on the x axis that I’m going to need to tighten and calibrate. I have a bit of movement in both axes, but I’m not sure if I just need to tighten it all up to remove the movement or just get the motors back on parallel again.

Anyway, some pics. Overall super happy with my new toy :slight_smile:

Slant more apparent in this one. Tried out a tool change and it looks like not only was it not needed but it caused more harm than good (seen at bottom of logo)

5 Likes