New Build, Washington

Not vertical just hanging on wall for storage.

2 Likes

Noooooo
You didnā€™t!

Take it back!

You do realize you just spit into the eye of Murphy and every other god of fate?

Maybe Iā€™m just old, or maybe I spent too many hours working in cars and learning that Murphyā€™s Law always had another way of popping up with an additional corollary!

1 Like

gotcha. looks good. Great idea as well. Planning on mounting mine to a table with an enclosure for noise and mess

What are you using?
The bench frame I just built is 2x3ā€™ and uses 2x4s. It weighs a ton. Iā€™d hate to have to move it much. In fact, Iā€™m dreading the fact that eventually Iā€™ll have to move it when I move to my new place.

1 Like

I donā€™t mean it as its going to be supeeeer easy going. Just I know Iā€™ve got lots of support and help from guys like you and the fact that we are building 2 at the same time. Plus no reason to stress about things. Iā€™m a pretty easy going, laid back kind of guy when it comes to building things.

1 Like

Just a sheet of 2x4 project sheet of 1/2 mdf. I bolted the legs instead of screwing. I just toss it on my workbench or across sawhorses to use.

1 Like

I plan on putting locking casters on the bottom of the table so it can move around a bit easier when I need it to. Plan on putting it into a corner where it shouldnā€™t get moved much if ever as well.
These are what I was thinking for wheels.

Then I double down on spitting in the eye of fate if you think I can help you. Iā€™m just a crazy engineer/maker/computer guy who decided to learn this stuff and figured what better way then to jump in.

That said, Iā€™ll offer what I know and wonā€™t offer anything I donā€™t know as right. But there are some great folks here who have helped me and who help others. So we both can and will learn from them!

1 Like

Those casters work great. I have them on my 300lb+ workbench. Just be sure to inset the legs a bit from your tabletop so you donā€™t create a trip hazard.

2 Likes

Love it. Thanks

1 Like

Yep. I plan on mounting them on the back side of the legs. with a shelf a couple inches above them so I can squeeze my foot in to press them down.

This is awesome. I have never seen this. I have been a maker for quite a while and will def be putting this to use with all the broken tape measures I have lying around that have never made it to the garbage can. Sweet tip.

Iā€™m sure your not the only crazy one here and canā€™t wait to get yours and others help on this endeavor.

1 Like

FWIW, the locals here are here partly because they love to talk about those decisions and debate the tiny differences. There is a whole other crowd (my guess is 10-50x larger) that are too busy making chips to think about any of this stuff. We have managed to learn about the common pitfalls and mistakes and have a pretty easy way to get going.

If you want to walk off the beaten trail, please share. But you donā€™t have to reinvent the wheel either.

2 Likes

Jeff
You should know by now that I ask questions to keep from running off the beaten path. Iā€™m all for trying new things, experimenting, etc, but only AFTER I know enough to do so wisely.

So right now, I listen to you and several folks who give me wise useful information.

As a note to anyone else here. Jeff usually gives good to excellent advise. I highly recommend pondering what he shares and using it as Iā€™ve yet to see him give bad advise.

2 Likes

I am just here because I canā€™t make chips with work and kids, so all I have is thisā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Question. How tall of a table are most of you using? I am planning a build area of 4 to 6 inches in the Z axis. I know that most of the time putting the stock in will be from the top and clamping will be the same.
Same for enclosures? how are yours setup?
Like mentioned above. Gonna start table/ enclosure planning while printing parts.

I def will need to look into this a bit more as well.

I did 3". Keep in mind that most of the bits only cut 17-25mm before hitting the collet so height mostly about material loading not depth of cut.

Even at 3 inches I can see deflection issues and have to slow down when Iā€™m cutting. The problem is that its most janky at the bottom of the cut where you cut most often.

Mine is similar to @Mcunn - 1/2" ply base with another layer of 1/2" ply under the feet, cut at an angle so my 3/4" MDF spoilboard is basically a big sliding dovetail piece. I just clamp it to the benchtop when it is in use.

Sorry for the confusion i guess.
How tall from floor to bottom of machine or top of table.
Not Z axis height. I do appreciate the input there as well though.