New Build with SKR and Dual Endstop

I purchased a kit with the SKR board and dual end-stop setup but neglected to order end-stop switches so I don’t have any yet. I have some on order and they should be here in a few days, but in the mean time if I want to start moving motors around and what not, should I jump the connectors on the board closed, or leave them open and just ignore them? I’m assuming since the switch is supposed to be set up NC, that they should be jumped closed. Thanks in advance!

Brian

Looking at more of the documentation, it looks like the end stops (open or closed) won’t affect operation except when running a homing cycle anyway, so I should be okay with leaving them open for now. Does that check with the experts?

Not an expert, but I understand the switches. No need to jumper the connections. As you say, as long as you don’t attempt to home the machines, the switches don’t come into play. In fact if they are left open and you accidently home the machine, it just won’t move…just a minor jerk in the opposite direction. If you jumpered the connections and accidently home the machine, it would crash into the end stop position and keep running until you shut the electronics down.

1 Like

Good evening everyone.
I don’t understand English very much, the site is not automatically translated into Russian, so I ask the community for help.
Collected mpcnc on the SKR 1.3 + TFT 2.4 v1.1 board, assembled and connected everything.
I will use it as a cnc and a laser, in conjunction with the Stlcam and Artcam programs.
Tell me the best way to flash skr 1.3 and what kind of controller to set in the stlcam settings.
One more question. Where to connect the instrument sensor and how to configure it in the firmware.
Thank you in advance for responding to my request.

Assuming you bought the kit from Ryan and bought dual end stop cables at the same time, the board will already be flashed with the firmware you need. If you wish to update or change the firmware, V1 releases firmware here. These days, platformIO on top of Microsoft code is recommended for flashing the firmware. There is some documentation on how to use it here.

Where to connect the instrument sensor and how to configure it in the firmware.

If by “instrument” you mean touch plate for the Z axis, then it just uses the Z end stop connection. I’ve never worked with the SKR 1.3, but looking at the documentation, you want to plug your touch plate into the signal (S) and ground (G) pins of the Z- end stop connection. If your board is oriented with the drivers at the top, the Z- end stop connection is the left bottom one.

As for configuration, it should run without changes, but you may want to adjust for the thickness of the touch plate. How/where you make that adjustment will depend on how you trigger the Z Home command.

If you end up needing to flash your board for some reason, you may also have to update the firmware on the TFT. I’ve not used a TFT, but I see talk on the forums about needing firmware updates for TFT screens. Maybe someone else on the forum can comment on this issue.

Robert, thank you very much for your response.
I bought the board for aliexpress, therefore I ask which firmware is better to fill in and how to properly configure it for skr 1.3.

Assuming you are building an MPCNC (not LowRider) and are wiring it up for dual end stops, V1 provides two versions, one for the 2209 drivers and one for the 8825 drivers:

• V1CNC_Skr1p3_Dual_2209-2.0.7.2-src.zip
  • V1CNC_Skr1p3_Dual_8825-2.0.7.2-src.zip

If you are using any other drivers than these two, I recommend starting a new topic on the forum and get advice for the specific driver. And again, I don’t know what to tell you about the TFT firmware.

Thank you. In all likelihood, I need these firmware. I have A4988 drivers, but it doesn’t matter, you can change the type of drivers during configuration.
I cannot create topics on this forum yet, I will wait for an answer in this thread, maybe someone else will give advice and a link to these firmware.

but it doesn’t matter, you can change the type of drivers during configuration.

If you are starting from the V1 firmware, I believe you have to directly edit the configuration.h and/or configuration_adv.h to change the drivers. If you are comfortable changing the configuration files for the A4988 drivers, then either of the two files are a good starting point. I only mention getting advice since @Jeffeb3 has mentioned that some driver setups are a bit tricky, and he has recommended specific starting firmware. If any of the other V1 firmware uses the A4988 drivers (and I’m not aware of any), it might save you some time to borrow a section from that firmware. As for opening a topic, since you opened this one, you can open others. But I’d wait a couple of days. My reference to Jeff should have him look at this post, plus he can give you advice about the firmware for your TFT screen.

1 Like

Thank you very much Robert for your helpfulness. I downloaded the firmware, the type of drivers has already changed. I will wait for a response from Jeffeb3 on the TFT 2.4 screen firmware.

The a4498 and drv8825 are the most similar. The difference is that your steps/mm will be wrong, but you can change that with gcode.

Unless the tft is exactly what we have, our precompiled firmware won’t work for it.

Thank you. The driver type and steps have already been changed in the firmware, the portal began to move.
Question about the tool sensor. What plug to put it on and what needs to be configured in the firmware for compilation.

It should go on the Zmin port, using the signal and ground pins, not the positive voltage pin. You should verify it’s working with M119 and then you can send G28 Z to have it home. Hopefully it will stop when you short the signal to the ground pin :).

The Z probe is opposite of the endstops, in that the endstops are wired normally closed, but due to the nature of the probe, it needs to be normally open.

Tell me why when I command home, the Z axis goes down and stops only if the instrument probe is brought up. What and where needs to be changed so that the Z axis after the home command goes to the top position and is triggered on the Z max contact?

On the MPCNC? That is common on the LR, but on the MPCNC.

You can change the home dir on Z to be +1. This will make G28 Z move the machine up until it hits the Zmax endstop. You will also need to make sure the Zmax endstop setting are correct (like inverting).

But you will lose the ability to probe the top surface. To add that back in, you need to set up a separate probe and enable G38. Then G38.2 Z0 will probe down.

We do all of that setup for the dual low rider setup, but I feel like it is not worth it for any of the other configurations. Homing just to get the tool out of the way just isn’t worth the extra config.

jeffeb3, with this setting, “HOME” mode works as expected. All axles are in the correct position. This is decided.

But you will lose the ability to probe the top surface. To add that back in, you need to set up a separate probe and enable G38. Then G38.2 Z0 will probe down

How to do it? The G38.2 Z0 command does not work for me.
I have MPCNC, firmware ** Marlin_V1CNC_Skr1p3_Dual_8825_2.0.7.2_509-src **.

G38.2 Z0
echo:Unknown command: “G38.2 Z0”

All axles are parked “Home”:
G28
echo:busy: processing
X:0.00 Y:0.00 Z:105.00 E:0.00 Count X:0 Y:0 Z:44000

P.S/ On the display, in V1 Custom menu, add the item “Probe Z” (tool probe) for command G38.2 Z0. It will be great.