New Forum software/backend

I was warned about using bbpress early on and didn’t listen. Almost all the time I waste trying to fix things on the site is forum related.

I just found out the mobile side it not working well, I rarely use it on my phone but have had some of the issues. I have a nexus 6 so I think they are less of an issue on the large screen or desktop mode that I use in Chrome

Anyway. I am no web guru. The only forum I can think of that I used to use constantly on my phone was XDA, and I don’t know what is it’s backbone.

So Let me hear your suggestions to a good forum that you have used on your phones, and preferably what software they use, links would be awesome. I’m ready to try and migrate over in the next few days.

Seems though my best googlefu that phpbb seems to be on top, am I wrong? Any experience with the WordPress plugins for it?

I’ve never heard of phpbb but it looks similar to other software. I have seen many forums use vbulletin with very mixed results (plus it costs money).

One of my favorite forums looks like it uses this. I know they put a lot of work into it, but I think most of that was struggling with vbulletin before they migrated to this. https://invisionpower.com/

Example forum
https://linustechtips.com/main/

Looks like phpbb is a solid free alternative though.

Something else I would like to see is an added section that is for non mpcnc stuff like other cool tools, machines, ideas or even just random off topic stuff.

phpbb is what I always used when a client needed forums.

That being said, who cares? The regular forum works fine just the way it is. If the mobile forum doesn’t work, my opinion is don’t sweat it.

I’m pretty sure it’s safe to say people would rather see you do other things than worry about a mobile forum issue.
Just my .02.

Ill look into it, I only want to do this once.
Thanks

That’s originally what I thought until I got a few complaints yesterday. Then I checked the analytics, mobile use is huge! And the chrome browser is by far the king, followed by firefox. So much good info in there. Big slice of the mobile pie is apple, but it is a minority on the non mobile.

I’ve tried using the mobile site a few times, just to find the link to a certain thread that might help when someone posts in the facebook group. Usually it is easier to just hop over to a computer and do it. Though, that can be said for most things, not just this forum. It would be nice to migrate to something a little more robust that allows users to stay logged in, but I don’t know how smoothly you could possibly migrate it. Then what would happen with the store, assembly instructions, and so on?

Well I turned of the nested threading and it fixes most of the problems. I think I will stick with this for a bit, although nesting really helps all of these off topic conversations that happen. There is a major update for this software due soon, I think I should wait for that to happen. I kinda have my plate full right now with my own update to the center getting released soon.

I’ll add your random forum now.

Nesting is where it basically tabs in every comment in a sub conversation where you reply directly to a post right? That is super helpful since this forum doesn’t use the typical quoting most other forums do. Hopefully things don’t get too confusing without it. Hope the software update has some useful features that don’t break everything that already works.

You always have a lot going on. It’s crazy. I don’t think I could monitor everything that happens on this forum, let alone design revisions for the machine, sell kits, and print parts for kits and prototyping. Do you ever have time to do other fun stuff?

Awesome, hopefully it can help some of the threads from getting off topic from the originals.

Another thing that might be useful, and I think this is already implemented but i’m not quite sure, is pinned or starred threads. They would be incredibly useful in the troubleshooting section. How many “its not square” threads do we really need?

Replies were a little funky, but not bad. The one thing I really would love to see is a “First Unread” button. I’m one of those mobile users, so scrolling on my phone can take a while, though I haven’t tried it now that we have page breaks.

Replies were a little funky, but not bad. The one thing I really would love to see is a “First Unread” button. I’m one of those mobile users, so scrolling on my phone can take a while, though I haven’t tried it now that we have page breaks.

I might be able to do this, I’ll check in a few days.

Nesting is where it basically tabs in every comment in a sub conversation where you reply directly to a post right? That is super helpful since this forum doesn’t use the typical quoting most other forums do. Hopefully things don’t get too confusing without it. Hope the software update has some useful features that don’t break everything that already works.

Yup, I will miss it and really want to add it back ASAP.

You always have a lot going on. It’s crazy. I don’t think I could monitor everything that happens on this forum, let alone design revisions for the machine, sell kits, and print parts for kits and prototyping. Do you ever have time to do other fun stuff?

I definitely don’t get out as much as I used to … But I am doing mostly fun stuff every single day (and my boss is easy to deal with)!

Awesome, hopefully it can help some of the threads from getting off topic from the originals.

Another thing that might be useful, and I think this is already implemented but i’m not quite sure, is pinned or starred threads. They would be incredibly useful in the troubleshooting section. How many “its not square” threads do we really need?

It is available, I only have one pinned thread right now though.