New Guy , New build advice

Hello and Thank you for this great site and collection of information.
Im in the middle of my first build in the CNC arena with a lowrider2
All parts are printed and tubing cut.
The advice i need is on the router and on control boards and software.
First let me say this build is a training exercise for me converting my full size Bridgeport to CNC, and that i want to have an A axis and possible B axis to go with XYZ.
I think i have settled on CNCjs for software and have been looking at 6pack universal Control board from Bart Dring. Any one have any advise on this control board and Drivers for it . Also i am trying out linux on a laptop but im slow. My coding experience is limited to Arduino at this point on a basic level. I want the ability to cut aluminum so i understand i need slower speeds for router. Makita RT0701 is my first choice as it looks i can use er11 collets with it . Please correct me if im Wrong .
Thank you
Scott

I haven’t used that board, but i have used others. There is one for the MPCNC specifically. You don’t really need that much flexability.

There have been trouble with the er collets having a lot of run out and they stick out pretty far. I would try to find a more compact 1/8" collet.

The nice thing is, none of this is set in stone. It is actually all a lot easier than it looks. You can start with a grbl esp32 board and then add a v1pi, and then later replace it all with linuxcnc.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply Jeff . Is there a recommended grbl esp32 board that will work with a 4th axis . I really like the idea of the cncjs set up on laptop in windows or linux and would work on a r pi set up if that’s more user friendly in the end at the machine ,

Can grbl support a 4th axis? I am not sure.

cncjs can run on a desktop without the pi. In that case it is sort of installing a browser and running the server at the same time.

With a pi, it sits on the machine, and you don’t hook up a keyboard or monitor to it. You just connect your browser to the cncjs interface and control it from your windows, mac, linux, chromebook browser without installing anything.

It’s honestly not as mature as I’d like. But it has a lot of promise.

But as a beginner the cncjs will work ? And I wouldn’t be using all 4 at same time . Can lock Y down to use the 4th angular axis

Thank you Jeff , I see what your saying is buy what’s recommended to start, learn to walk , then run . Some times my brain gets wild and I have to step back and think . I guess the only think that will bother my OCD is the heater and extruder icons on the screen of the control board.
Thank you very much
Scott

It is surprising how much worry this has caused. I get it, but I don’t see it anymore.

You’re not going to get stuck in a particular solution.

If you don’t tell grbl the Y axis is connected to a rotational axis, it won’t care. Neither will cncjs. Same with Marlin, BTW. That is a good thing to add later.