New here, can't wait to get started!

Hi folks!
My name is John and I just joined the forums. Looks like a great place to get and share info. This is my first post, so I’ll give you a quick introduction.

I’m 55 years old and I live about 20 miles north of Detroit, Michigan, USA. I’ve been a licensed residential builder for almost 25 years. But I’m now disabled due to an incredibly rare genetic condition, so now I work part-time just to get me out of the house and give me something to do.

I’ve been into 3D printing for about 2 years and loving it. I just ordered a K40 laser cutter/engraver which will be here next week. A few days ago, I discovered the MPCNC. It looks fantastic! I started printing the parts yesterday and it’s going well so far. With the outlay of cash for the laser, I can’t really complete the MPCNC right now, but I’ll get it printed and the frame assembled. I’ll probably finish it up this summer. I CAN’T WAIT!

Please be kind and gentle with this noob. :slight_smile:

Take is slow and have fun with the build, lots to learn and as soon as your laser shows up this will get back burnered for a while! You are going to be a expert in new tech in no time.

Hi John,

I’m in the same boat with two back surgeries at 59. I just got my MPCNC and starting to build it. I’m carving wood. I’m interested in how your laser set up goes. Nice to meet you. We’ll get this going.

Mike

Thanks, guys!

I’m looking forward to the build. As I said, I’m a licensed residential builder, but I can’t do that anymore. So now I work part-time at a local movie theater. Only because the government is screwing me out of my disability for another two years. But that’s a whole other story that I won’t bother you with. :slight_smile:

Eight years ago, I was initially diagnosed with ALS. But thankfully that wasn’t correct. But I do have Late Onset Tay Sachs disease. I’m one of only about 200 confirmed cases worldwide. I can still walk a little bit at this point, but I’m headed for a wheelchair sometime in the future. So I figured that I had better find things I can do sitting down. :slight_smile: It’s a very tough thing to deal with, but I will fight it with all of my strength. Hobbies like this help me keep my mind off of what is to come. I’m looking forward to interacting with all of you!

1 Like

That is a rough situation. I agree keeping the mind active has got to be the best thing you can do. I truly believe we have not unlocked our minds full abilities. You are on your way to a Tony Stark set of high tech tools so maybe you will end up with an exoskeleton instead of some wheels…

I think you have found a cool set of skills to learn, this stuff is all progressing so fast it keeps fresh, new, and interesting with all the innovations, large and small, software and hardware.

1 Like