New Laser CNC Build Proposal

I did a good bit of digging around here and didn’t quite find the exact idea I’m thinking about. Sure, I see lot’s of folks putting lasers on their LOWRIDER2s. I want to do lasers, too. And Sharks. Sharks WITH lasers… LOL

Ok - so here’s the idea. It doesn’t seem like a big stretch for us to build this idea either. We pretty much “know” how to do everything like manipulate the steppers, controllers of many types, TFT screen, etc etc etc. Why couldn’t we just adapt all that to making a portable laser CNC like the Ortur Master 2, e.g.? (just search ebay or amazon, you’ll see what I mean) We can borrow build ideas from what we know about 3Dprinters, too.

The thing is, my lowrider2 is not exactly PORTABLE. It’s huge! (and will be bigger someday, as it’s 1 MDF cut in 1/2) I like that Ortur one because I can just take it outside and not have to worry about smoke. I have no easy way to vent outside where my LR2 sits now.

What I don’t like about the Ortur is

1. seems too expensive for what it it (going for the highest laser output of course)
  2. you cannot use SD cards - it has to be connected to a laptop/PC.
  3. no Z axis.
  4. what else was it? I thought of it, re-formatted this stanza, and totally forgot. Getting old sux.

If we just use the same nema17 motors, belts, pulleys, etc. all we have to do is buy extruded aluminum rails (of ANY length, right!?!) and the wheels (which I have in my shopping cart on amazon for like $12 for 12 of those suckers)… Pretty much the same thing on the LR2 for when you have to buy the steel tubes and stuff… and print all the brackets cuz we don’t need super stiff supports and mounts - or cut them out of acrylic on our lowriders! We’d have to procure/source hardware to build the frame and stuff (McMaster Carr, or wherever - they even have the extruded alum) OH yeah… and obviously you need a laser!! :wink: Need some trusted sources for that - SOOOO many to chose from on Amazon. But who cares where you get it, the design would be easily reconfigurable. And while we’re at it, why not build into the design a little bit of Z axis movement, so we don’t have to fiddle with the (crappy, I hear) focus on the lasers themselves. Just move Z up or down to dial it in. Plus, that would also give the ability to zap materials of varying thicknesses, although I suppose you could just put some adjustable legs on the 4 corners… meh. boring! Put a Z on it. And that rolly thingie they charge about $100 for looks super simple… we (Ryan) could do that!

Of course, Ryan can expand his business and provide kits! :wink:

Seriously, what would it take? What am I missing? I’m still a newb w/ about 1month of experience here. As an engineer at heart, I’m already on to upgrades, improvements, ideas, etc. :slight_smile:

I suppose if it takes off, too, it wouldn’t be called a LOWRIDER2, huh? LaserRider… LazyRider… LaserShark… hmmm I like that one! And wouldn’t get confused with the acronym L.R. - would be an L.S. or LSR LaserSharkRider…

OH - and do tell me if I’m not posting this in the right place. There’s no LaserShark section (yet)!! :slight_smile:

Thoughts? Redirect me? Whatayathink?
TIA

Have you checked out the Cantilevered Laser Engraver thread?

1 Like

And there we go! I knew I couldn’t be the 1st to think of it!!! Although, I would prefer the FRAME design, but I’ll dig more now and see if that’s posted around here somewhere. Thanks, Tom!

And now I’m finding more stuff… OK - thanks again for getting me off in the right direction, Tom.

LaserShark?? LOL thought I was onto something!!

This reminds me very much of @darxide’s portable mpcnc. I want one! Let me see if I can find the pictures he posted.

(edit) here it is Portable mpcnc? - #5 by darxide

2 Likes

Looky there! Getting closer, Kyle! I do prefer the seemingly more stable 4-leg style over the cantilever idea. I think I would also incorporate David’s z axis mod… I even have some leftover tubing from the lowrider2 build I just did. Although the 20/20 Extruded Aluminum is a little sexier! :wink: and probably lighter. At McMaster-Carr I have in my cart 4 x 2ft at about $33… can probably get all the legs and stuff from the hardware store and do it all with hex bolts (instead of T-Slot thingies.) I wonder if the linear bearlings/rails would be cooler than the rubber wheels… (albeit more expensive! I’ve seen some DIY rails on thingaverse or somewhere)

Feeling like I’m going to have to start prototyping and becoming tight with David (dkj4linux)!!! :slight_smile:

Now I’m not trying to steer anyone toward a competitor, but since the V1 shop doesn’t have aluminum extrusions, zyltech has pretty good pricing on 2020 bars. I got 10x1M pieces for around $80, if your looking to go that route. Then you’ll have some leftover to build more fun stuff! Just make sure you get the v-groove, not the t-slot. The inside bevel is different and most standard parts won’t fit quite right…ask me how I know :sweat_smile:

Wow Tim! I just closed my McMaster tab and am now shopping at Zyltech. Much easier for engineering since many/all stuff is related to building JUST these kindsa things! Thanks. (I do like leftover parts, too!)

Yeah, I know McMaster can be pretty spendy sometimes.

1 Like

Seems a lot of stuff is Out of Stock at Zyltech… bummer… I’ll pick this back up next week. I have some major yard sculpting I’m doing this weekend w/ a skid steer.

Thanks everyone

If you look at about message 199 on the Cantilevered thread, you will see where someone remixed it for a 4 leg design. I think he just duplicated the lower & upper frame plates to the other side & added another motor with belt. If you add the other side, you could probably simplify the upper & lower plates some more by just using 2020 beam on each side.

Similar to what @geodave just suggested, almost any of the cantilevered designs out there can be converted readily – and IMO improved – to a “4 leg design”. I had two slightly-modified ERC TimSav machines (a “minimalist” cantilevered design) set up for my TimSavX2 hot-wire machine – which I’ve since dismantled… so I took the two machines, mirrored them, and set them up with a shared gantry. Series connect the axis with two motors and you’ve now got your 4-legged machine…

I’ve been working on a new Z-axis and a laser module is missing in this photo…

– David

1 Like

I would like to point out that the impression you have of the cantilever being unstable is, I believe, unwarranted. Perhaps if you approach the idea from a routing or milling perspective then I might agree that it sounds sketchy but please remember there is zero load on the head, there is no measurable movement in a vertical direction over the range of either axis (providing you are not talking silly dimensions which, if you want to keep it portable, you are not)… and a single footprint does make the entire device more portable.
Davids example has the extra weight of the Z axis to support so is probably a necessary adaptation if a z axis is in your design parameters.

Nope not if you put the z axis on the edge. Check out the snapmaker it did well as a cantilevered machine.

Guys,

I wasn’t trying to imply cantilevered designs aren’t useful… they are. But I have built and played with the Edward Chew’s TimSav machine – a cantilevered design – and at the dimensions to handle 20"x30" foam sheet goods and with the minimalist structure… there is noticeable flex/play out at the end of the moving arm if you apply much pressure at all. Not that it isn’t “good enough” for needle-cutting foam for RC planes – and it is wonderfully portable – but the play is definitely there for anything more than the lightest of loads. Edward’s solution is to employ a “landing gear” to support the end of the beam… which works well enough when used on a clean surface. It’s perfect for carrying to your RC club’s monthly meeting…

But I also want a fully-implemented Z-axis on my machines… and I have several different, and differing-sized, laser modules… and I need an air-assist hose to the head… and… and…

All I was trying to point out was the relative ease of adding an extra driven rail – essentially identical to and mirroring the original – which captures and shares the common gantry beam. This results in a sturdier four-legged structure which fully supports the carriage/gantry and is easier to mod and “play with”… i.e. it better suits my need. Maybe yours, as well… :wink:

– David

3 Likes

Sure David…I wasn’t getting at your mods, I understand your rationale behind them but I just wanted to make the point about people might be thinking there was a problem with play in the vertical axis on a 12" Y axis and there isn’t in something that has no vertical load and low mass.

I took a look at the snapmaker…I got as far as the price tag…Thanks…but not my thing at all :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here’s the design and build process for further fab’s laser.

For portability I really like cantilevered designs. The one linked above has potential to be stiffened. With that long arm and landing gear, I imagine lateral torque on that arm (y axis of rotation) will be the biggest issue. To help reduce the lateral flex, that x carriage could be widened to provide more distance between the bearings. That carried far enough, should adequately support a laser without cropping x travel too much. Lasers don’t care if you are 1mm off or so, so vertical flex should be irrelevant, especially with that landing gear. One thing folks etching with lasers get after, is faster raster production. If you run the raster lines along the y axis, that cantilevered design is quite good. Rastering along the x might bring out the wag though.

Either way regarding more general design drivers, when you add “portable” to the requirements, you will pretty much have to start right off with compromising dimensional stability. To put that another way, a bridgeport is to a primo, like a primo is to a portable laser rig.

No I didn’t mean for you to buy one. I meant only to use it as an example of a cantilevered design that’s capable of not only lasering but 3d printing and light milling. So at least over short distances a cantilevered design can be very effective.