New LowRider2 build from Tenerife, Spain

Hi again,

It is not yet executed, but the next improvement is in process. I have taken the machine closer to the ground, because I have the idea of making an enclosure. This is obviously because of the noise, my workshop is small, and I am crazy about so much noise (besides I think I might be bothering my neighbor, because he has to hear it). I haven’t done any work that lasts long, the longest being 90 minutes, and it was terrible to endure the high-pitched sound it emits.

I still don’t have the details of the enclosure, I’m collecting all the information I can to do it well, and make it work efficiently by dampening as much sound as possible. I know that the cooling of the box is a very important factor.

It’s gonna be a pretty big box :thinking:

Greetings, and I’ll be showing you the progress.

3 Likes

No hurry, but no pause, the box is taking shape.

This is the insulation panel I’m going to use:

and the finish of the box will be 16mm MDF panel.

This is the loud noise I was talking about, I also have to say that this wood was very hard, it used a 90º cutter and it was 4mm deep in each pass, maybe that also contributed to produce even more noise.

Regards
Roger

Well, first of all, as a carpenter I’m pitiful, and after a couple of mistakes that don’t make for good aesthetics…

There’s still a lot to do, ventilation system, lighting, instrument panel, … But the box itself has already materialized.

Apart from the front door, I’m also going to prepare for the top lid to be opened.

2 Likes

It is so unsuspecting… very neat.

2 Likes

Thank you, Jeff. :slightly_smiling_face:

Top hatch

2 Likes

I know that these things are best appreciated live, but I can assure you that the difference is quite great.

I still have some work to do as I said before, but I am very happy with the initial results.

Regads
Roger

3 Likes

Sounds great! I’d almost be tempted to add a fire blanket to the top lid (like on most car hoods), in case something goes painfully wrong while it’s out of sight. But I’m also paranoid… :wink:

1 Like

I see you have dust collection. Do you have any ventilation to help cool the electronics and/or router? I could see that box getting very hot…

1 Like

I’m going to put a camera inside, so I know what’s going on inside at all times. Also a thermometer to know at all times the temperature inside. I have to make a hole in the box to get the suction pipe out, my vacuum cleaner is not noisy, but it gives off quite a lot of heat, so the vacuum cleaner outside the box, I have to make tests regarding the temperature inside the box, but in principle, the suction system should be more than enough to keep the inside of the box fresh, as it constantly forces the air to be renewed. The thermometer will solve all the doubts.

Add a fire blanket would be a good idea, Ideally, the entire interior of the box should be lined.

:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

It might also be a good idea to put in an e-stop on the outside of the box. :smiley:

1 Like

You may want to consider adding adjustable vents to the box so that your suction system has sufficient “make up” air. Otherwise you’re trying to pull a vacuum in the whole box which will hurt both your chip evacuation and the vacuum itself.

If you’re using a “shop-vac” style vacuum, most of the ones I’ve seen (in the US) rely on the moving suction air to also cool the motor, so if the vacuum has to work hard to pull hot air out of the enclosure, you’re likely to significantly shorten it’s life.

I had a vac that ran great for years but I only used it a few minutes at a time. Then I had to run it for an extended period of time (about 90 minutes) and the nylon brush frames in the motor softened and warped, killing the motor. How long do you expect your CNC jobs to run?

2 Likes

Of course, that won’t be lacking. :wink:

I have a household vacuum cleaner, this one to be exact:

It’s a very basic vacuum cleaner, but so far it’s doing its job well. It will most likely use the same suction air to cool its engine, which is why it gives off so much heat.

What you say about adjustable holes for the air intake seems to me a great idea, and it makes perfect sense, otherwise it will generate vacuum, and that’s not going to be good as you say.

I’m not sure how long my jobs can take yet,… it’s very likely that the little vacuum cleaner will fail, but I’ll give it a try. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thank you very much for your guidance and help.

Vacuum connected. I’ve also installed a camera inside the compound. It has been working for 70 minutes and I can say that the interior of the enclosure has remained cool.

This is the work I was doing on the video:

I’m very happy with the results.

Still pending the installation of an exterior instrument panel with an emergency stop button, and better interior lighting, this video was recorded with a small flashlight on the inside.

6 Likes

The only thing we have in common, is a totally similar vacuum setup. Other than that - I can only give you my applause! :clap:

2 Likes

Thank you very much, Turbinbjorn,

I just saw your work and it’s magnificent, other applause for you :slightly_smiling_face:

The cyclone filter works surprisingly well.

I can’t wait to see what we can do with these machines.

Cheers.

1 Like

Well - thanks! As my mother says, we shouldN’T compare/compete. But it sure is inspiring to see how others plan, make and use their machines, gives many ideas :nerd_face:

(edit, fraudian slip on the shouldn’t :wink:)

1 Like

I didn’t mean it in a competitive sense, I don’t like to compete. I agree with you, I love to see other people’s work and see what they’re capable of. My favorite section in the forum is “Things You’ve Made”, I spend a lot of time there.

Now that for public health reasons we have to stay at home, well, more time to spend on this. And now that I talk about it… I made five orders Chinese and UK, some assorted bit sets and an adapter to use 3.175mm bits in the Makita RT0700C (I work with a handmade one that works for the moment), I don’t know if they will ever reach me, here in Spain things are getting very restrictive, the borders have just been closed so I don’t know… strange times we have to live.

3 Likes

You are by no means implying a competition here, @roger181078 - I was only referring to my own awe!

Yeah - we are in strange times. For me, playing with the MPCNC has become a very important oasis of sanity, in this somehow crazy situation. Being in my shed and fixing things is a super distraction! Hopefully this period will be quite fruitful to my creativity.

2 Likes