New MPCNC 2'x2' Build ABQ

I’d say it was a long journey to get here but I only just found this website 2 weeks ago! Dug into the forums and decided on the size I wanted and started printing the parts the moment all the plastic came in the mail.

Built this table the following weekend after I heard a 2’x2’ build area was sturdy enough for wood.

Started putting it together before all the parts were finished printing haha

And aside from the really long tension bolt from being too tight for the first test, it still worked remarkably well! I even figured out how to convert my Wife’s art into dxf files that i could draw with.

And finally Last night the DW660 came in and I was ready to start cutting! I started with the foam because I was pretty worried I’d ruin something, but it turned out surprisingly clean for my first CNC projects.

Then my wife threw together a quick little home sign and I dove into Fusion360 (I’ve been using it for years with 3D printing) and I got the CAM all set up for my first wood project.

I couldn’t be happier with this experience and I’m really grateful for all the help I received from the Forum! It’s felt longer than 2 weeks but man am I excited to dive into more projects! Now i just have to clean up all the cables underneath the machine and figure out how to use all my different end mills I bought from the store!

13 Likes

Great stuff man!

1 Like

Just made this today trying to learn more about Fusion 360 and what it can do

3 Likes

What settings did you use to cut diamond?

JK. This looks awesome. Was it combined with some kind of life changing event? Or was this just an existing engagement ring used for art?

1 Like

It was originally just going to be a bowl but then the wife asked me to add the ring holder! She’s the creative one, I’m just good with electronics haha

Do you feel 2x2 is big enough? Im debating starting my parts printing this week and stuck between MPCNC and Lowrider, but really want to tackle a 3x3 size as my first.

If you can source 1" tube, you can probably get away with a 3X3 mpcnc. It is better to start off with the default 2X2 though. Makes it easier for us to troubleshoot without the “is it too floppy” nagging in the back of our head.

1 Like

Thanks Barry.

Dont want to hijack this, will stock parts fit 1"’?

If they’re made for 1" tube. There are different versions of the printed parts.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1671517 Are the parts you want. Make sure you can get 1" tube first! You can’t get them at lowes or home depot, need to get them from a real metal supplier.

Legend!

1 Like

Just to be clear, 3/4" EMT conduit is measured roughly with a 3/4" inside diameter. Which ends up being 23.5mm outside diameter.

The 25.4mm is for 1" outside diameter tubing, not 1" conduit.

2 Likes

I should have specified, my usable area is 2’x2’ and the width of the build is roughly 3’x’3.

It works plenty fine for wood right now, I’m actually surprised at how well it’s still working now! Any larger I’ve heard most recommend the low rider but I have no experience with that

1 Like

Build the size you want. :slightly_smiling_face: If you’re like me, you’ll always wish you had.

I started my build in January, after dreaming and planning for a long time. I decided (against all the good advice on the forum) to build a 36x36 MPCNC (25"x25" work area). I ordered 25.4" SS tubing to offset the larger build size. I’ve built an enclosure around it, so it has been a sizeable investment in time, shop space, and money.

All the cautions to start small, learn, grow, etc. are exactly on point, but if I had done that, then I would have quickly outgrown the smaller size, wished for a bigger size, and dreaded the teardown and rebuild.

I accept that my MPCNC will not be the most solid, but I may never mill aluminum. I also might’ve liked to have a LowRider, but I don’t have space for two, so a large MPCNC is a compromise.

I could have gone smaller, but personally, I would have regretted it. (just be aware of each of the compromises you are making…size, time, money, stiffness, learning curve, etc.)

That said…the second or third time you redesign/rebuild your MPCNC it will be better. You’ll learn from the first build and “next time” cut the data cables the right length, or use the RAMBO controller box that you really wanted, or used a spoilboard/clamping system that you really like.

Learning is an evolution, so there will always be “shoulda” moments. “I shoulda done it the other way”

But, instead of standing on the edge trying to get it perfect, just jump in and start swimming. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Mind showing me what the design for the home sign looks like inside Fusion360 please?

@merrittgene - why would you not cut alu? (Sorry, im new)

I’ll certainly try it, but milling metal is the most severe case for needing machine rigidity which is one of the reasons that a smaller size is encouraged.

Ok i understand. Thanks for the replies

Fusion lets you import SVG files and then use them to extrude the text through the stock (I still don’t know the best operation to cut the text out)

Here’s the SVG file: Home.zip (94.4 KB)

1 Like

Why is everyone seeming to cut as 3d take .svg file and open in estcam and pocket or v-carv or outline no further 360 needed unless I missed something

Fusion is just what I know best right now, I tried following the Basics tutorial and the newer software release made it too confusing.

I think fusion is great for 3D stuff! I modeled that ring holder and it was ready to go in no time.

1 Like

Yes that is what it is great at and I think that is beautiful and think that is how to do cuts like that very elegant :heart: