New MPCNC for 2020! - Primo -

Does new designs reuse any of the old parts? Was going to start printing the 25.4 designs this week. But trying to hold off. Ready for an upgrade over running the conduit version for a few years.

1 Like

A more rigid center and easier squaring will be fantastic improvements. Squaring the base wasn’t too bad. Getting the center gantry close enough to be pulled square by dual endstops was easy enough. Getting the Z axis perpendicular to the table and shimming the DW660 was a hell of task and took as much time as the rest of the build combined.

An idea… Start offering up air cheap adjustable air blasts from your web store.Throw a few holes in the middle axis assembly for mounting the blasts so that we’re not drilling into the middle axis assembly to mount them or reverse engineering lower mounts to hack them in ourselves.

4 Likes

I can’t wait!! And I’m ready for my second build!
Parts was ordered and received last December and 2 spools of Carbon Fiber PLA

3 Likes

Here’s what he said to a similar question on Facebook,

“You will need some new bolts and screws, and a few other little things I will make an update pack. Should not be much. All the expensive stuff moves to the new one.”

I just completed a crown test with my build… Time to debate on whether I finish, or start the new machine :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’ve literally just finished printing my MPCNC last week and as I speak I’m assembling the Z-Axis.

I feel like crying :frowning: especially the bit where ‘everypiece is new’.

Rob

I’ve been putting off tearing down and rebuilding mine. I had actually thought a a month ago that I would get that done during the quarantine, but I’ve still been too busy. I guess I can put it off a little longer now. Filament is hard enough to get right now anyway.

2 Likes

So far I’ve had no problem getting filament from atomicfilament.com

1 Like

This is pretty awesome. I am glad you are getting prepared for it all at once.

To anyone who had just finished their build, keep it for a while and get it dirty. You will learn a lot and you will have a lot more knowledge when you do upgrade. There isn’t anything wrong with what you’ve got.

8 Likes

Yes there is. It isn’t the newest, so it isn’t the bestest:clown_face:

Says the guy who preemptively upgrades his OS’s, even when everything is running smoothly and without issue.

4 Likes

Being someone who drives a 19 year old car, I agree and will continue with the build of my ‘old’ MPCNC. :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks for that link. I’ve never tried that filament before. They’re a little more expensive than I typically like to pay, but worth it to support a USA manufacturer.

1 Like

My thoughts exactly! I’m very much new to 3D printing but I’ve had two spools from them so far and have been getting good results and their service has been good. I bought a printer only about a month ago along with a spool of filament from Amazon. After burning thru the first spool trying to learn the good/bad of printing, even though I was on a Prime trial Amazon was going to take 3 weeks to get me another spool so the 2-day FedEx and American made product from Atomic convinced me. I doubt I’ll print enough volume that the higher price will affect me much.

1 Like

And I JUST BARELY finished building and putting the cabinet on my mpcnc and wiring everything up LAST NIGHT haha. This is my luck.

3 Likes

If history is any indication of my future… You can expect me to update to the new parts around 2022 :smiley::smiley::smiley:

You’re the guy that buys a new snowblower so we don’t get a blizzard, or washes his car so we get some much-needed rain. We thank you.

3 Likes

Nah, build it and beat it up, have fun. Then swap out to the new one later if it proves to be better!

2 Likes

Seriously. Remember the old ipods, that had the little window on them? I bought one, and 1 day outside of my exchange window they announced the full touchscreen ipods.

A couple years ago I was on the verge of buying a full format camera, and I’m a nikon fanboy. I held out, knowing my luck. There was rumors of a successor to the Nikon D750. After waiting a couple months, I bought my D750. The D850 was announced a couple days after my return/exchange window.

So… You’re all welcome. haha!

4 Likes

Atomic makes great filament. My 3’x4’ PETG MPCNC was done in their filament 4 years and has held up great. Their PLA is really good too. The owner hangs out on the reprap IRC channel sometimes and drops discount codes on there fairly often (usually have to buy 2-3 spools to get the discount.) He’s also been involved with reprap for a long time and is really helpful.

They’re a little bit more expensive than decent budget filament, but if you buy 2-3 rolls the price difference isn’t that bad but the quality difference is big. They also sometimes post up some B-Quality rolls at a discount. And I’ve found that even their B-Quality is better than a lot of the budget brands regular quality.

3 Likes

It would only be bad if I said everything had to be swapped out. Currently all new plastic parts is the “worst” part of it. I will do my best to make cheap upgrade kits available. I have never done that before but it makes a lot of sense with this one.

If you have started the Burly version, finish it, use it, enjoy it, learn from it…then get an update kit and make a new one later (seriously I will make it as cheap as I can, I will probably not even include new nuts to save a few bucks!). I really really do not suggest waiting, especially if you are staying home right now. No need to wait for something else.

7 Likes

Exactly! I’m working on a soon to be ‘old’ MPCNC now and I couldn’t have gotten involved at a better time. I’m enjoying the work and it’s keeping my mind off the doom & gloomers who seem to dominate the news these days.

3 Likes