New printer time?

Those fans are way overpowered for printers. I think mine is limited to like 50%.

It isn’t the fan making the noise though, it is the case vibrating and amplifying the stepper noise. It is crazy loud.

I need your fans, these could use some more power. I tried a few different brands and these were the best…but not enough for faster printing.

Is it the extruder stepper that’s being amplified? Have you tried o-rings or other absorbers on the stepper motor mounting screws to try and trap the vibrations before the fan can pick them up?

Have you tried 3d printing a finger?

6 Likes

No it is most certainly XY noise. If it is moving in any direction other than pure X or Pure Y it is quiet. I have an idea to mount the fan under the extruder, maybe that will help. Being at the end of that long lever arm is surely not helping.

Strap a DW660 on it and have that running while printing, and I guarantee you won’t notice the stepper noise anymore.

2 Likes

I do need a Hemera mount soonish. have to pick up another 12mm panel, and then I’ll want to be starting assembly. I am getting ready to cut panels again. (I could do it on the Primo, but I wanted this to be a LR2 shakedown project.)

1 Like

No problem, I can just drop it into the assembly and you will have the files. You will need to roll back a few version though.

4 Likes

I’m not sure if i ever noticed just how helpful we all are concerning noise abatement…

2 Likes

Room full of dorks right here…

:kissing_smiling_eyes:

So I opened fusion to print a different version of the fan mount…Dang thing is not letting me orbit. GRRRRRR.

2 Likes

At the risk of asking the obvious, have you tried it with another fan, just to eliminate some quirk in that one? While I agree with finding the source of the problem - will a dollop of silicone replace the finger? Thinking just about changing the frequency of the vibrating part so it shouldn’t need a heavy hand.

1 Like

Can you change the fan speed? Maybe try changing the print speed? Is it possible it’s a resonance between the fan speed and the steppers moving at a certain speed?

1 Like

You know what. I did change the fan for a different reason. I do not remember if the previous one did it…I will swap it just in case. Thanks for the obvious that I missed.

Tried it, nothing. Thanks though

2 Likes

For debugging the noise I did something like this a while back. I made a GCode file that moves using one XY motor only out and back. Then the other. Then both at the same time. I used a square pattern. Have the whole pattern repeat at progressively higher speeds. You may find something like a belt is rubbing causing the sound. Just touch different parts of the machine and feel what is vibrating. But as you say it may be the steppers just getting a megaphone effect somehow.

1 Like

Yea, certain speeds will resonate more than others. If I remember right, 30mm/s on mine sounds horrible. It doesn’t help the panels on mine also act as a resonator.

1 Like

Man…I was so excited to finish printer #2 today. BoneHead forgot to order more CF tube.

Found it cheap and close so I should have it in a few days, https://hobbyking.com/en_us/carbon-fibre-square-tube-20-x-20-x-800mm.html?affiliate_code=NUSZZYXYECBRFPP&_asc=422407589

Hobbyking $14 for 800mm, I bought most of what they had though, I left two. Otherwise It pops up on Amazon and all over Aliexpress.

I got in the aluminum square tube I talked about earlier.

Wayyyyy too heavy, might as well just use the linear rail.

4 Likes

Yes that is the one I ordered, USPS say it will be here tomorrow.

1 Like

hobbyking is awesome.

2 Likes

Not for me. :frowning: Well, I did order from Ali Express, that’s the package that was “out for delivery” for 2 weeks. I hate the post office.

Hopefully cutting panels tonight. If the LR doesn’t make it, then I’ll switch to the Primo. Maybe I’ll do one on the Primo while another is on the LR.

2 Likes