New Rambo 1.4 no display and can not upload new Firmware

Ok here is my problems. I purchased a new RAMBO 1.4 board to replace my Rambo 1.3 that had one of the drivers stop working. V1 sent me a new board and I have some problems with the display. I can get it to light up but it will not display anything. I have tried every cable combination posable and still will not display anything. I then double checked the display and plugged it into my old Rambo and it worked.

Then I was thinking I may have a firmware problem. So I down loaded the firmware from the V1 website and tried to upload onto the new board. Now I get this error

What is my next move?

Compilation complete.

avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout

avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

Upload error: Error: 2 UNKNOWN: uploading error: uploading error: exit status 1

Before you give up on the display, make sure you’ve adjusted the contrast. Wrong contrast will end up with a blank display even if the display is working correctly. In any configuration where you get the display to light up, adjust the contrast pot. Of course if you are using the display from your Rambo 1.3 build, this won’t be the issue since the contrast settings were working on the old board.

The timeout issue happens if there is an issue with the USB communication to the board. The most common reason is a lack of 12V to the board when trying doing the upload, but there have been other reasons. Since you can get the display to light up, then this is unlikely to be the issue, but you might try an alternate USB cable. I’m assuming you are using PlatformlO to do your compile.

1 Like

Have you tried rotating the wires too? Sometimes they are keyed wrong and you either need to cut the key off the cable, or remove the plastic shroud where the key fits.

You can connect repetier host to the board and see the version with M115. It should say something like v510D. If it has that, then you don’t need to flash it.

Thanks for the help.
I have rotated and fliped the cables on the board. The Rambo Board I receaved did not have the plastic shroud so it was easy to rotate the connectors.

When I try to send a M115 from Repetier Host on only get “Communication timeout - reset send buffer block”
Now what should I try?

You are not connected to the rambo. You should try 115.2k and 250k baud and make sure you have the rambo powered by 12V as well as the USB. Make sure you have the right COM port.

Still cannot get the display to work or talk to the board. Have tried two computers and a number of speeds. I see the green light is on the board and the screen lights up so I know it has power. I have tried every cable combination and cannot get it to display anything.
As for the ability to talk to the board, I have tried two computers, different cables, and 115.2k and 250k baud. I do get Arduino IDE to show that is connected to a RAMBo on COM3 at 115.2K in the lower right corner.
I am still able to talk to my Rambo 1.3 board. Need to get suggestions on what to try next.

Step 1 is to get platformio to talk to the board.

The arduino IDE on Windows cannot compile stock V1 firmware. Once you add the necessary U8glib libraries, it chokes. (It works with Linux though.)

I’d try compiling the stock firmware and uploading that. Then you should be able to connect at the defined baud rate (250000)

Still have no display and I am getting this error when I try to upload the firmware.
Do I have a bad board?

Building in release mode
Checking size .pio\build\rambo\firmware.elf
Advanced Memory Usage is available via “PlatformIO Home > Project Inspect”
RAM: [====== ] 59.0% (used 4834 bytes from 8192 bytes)
Flash: [==== ] 42.4% (used 109510 bytes from 258048 bytes)
Configuring upload protocol…
AVAILABLE: wiring
CURRENT: upload_protocol = wiring
Looking for upload port…
Auto-detected: COM3
Uploading .pio\build\rambo\firmware.hex
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

avrdude done. Thank you.

*** [upload] Error 1
================================================= [FAILED] Took 89.24 seconds =================================================

Environment Status Duration

rambo FAILED 00:01:29.240
============================================ 1 failed, 0 succeeded in 00:01:29.240 ============================================
The terminal process “C:\Users\hansen.platformio\penv\Scripts\platformio.exe ‘run’, ‘–target’, ‘upload’” terminated with exit code: 1.

Can you please upload a picture of the board, and screen fully connected so we can double check everything.

We need to see all the wires you have plugged in and where they are going, so the top of the Rambo and bottom of the LCD.

Another thing to double check are the two tiny gold ended fuses on the board. Pull them out and check continuity. By far the biggest error is people getting these boards and missing with the power wires and popping a fuse. The board is flashed and tested here so it has connected and received and verified commands.

Here is the photos of the cable attached to the board and display.

I know the cable is good as it still works with the old Rambo 1.3 display that I am replacing.

This is the only cable combination that lights up the display.

Not really sure where to start. My best suggestion is to unplug everything except the first board 12V power, and a USB cable and try again. Unplug everything else.

OK
I unplugged everything but the power and the display just still did not work.
I plugged the USB cable in and was not able to communicate with the board.
Now what?

Take off the screen as well.

Will pull the fuses when I am back at home.

I have pulled the fuses and they are OK. I have tried a new set of cables to the diplay and still not working. What should I try now? HELP

Mac or PC?

Can you please unplug all power except the 4 shown in the instructions, and verify the two banks of 12v are indeed getting power? A multimeter at the connector on the board is best to verify polarity, or make sure a led or two comes on.

I am not convinced it is the board, I am leaning more towards the computer connection right now. The LCD connectors you are showing are non factory and not confidence inspiring. LCD wires can be no longer than 65cm long or the screen no longer functions in most cases.

I have one green LED that is coming on. I have also used this cable with my RAMBO 1.3 for two years. I have used the cables that came with the display originally and get the same results. I will test the power tonight for a second time but they tested fine two weeks ago.

It is just best to unplug everything. The third power port does not need power since you are not using any mosfets. Endstops are notorious for getting plugged in wrong. And the LCD cables have much tighter timing on the new versions of Marlin, so much so we manually added timing changes to get them to work on 65cm or less cables.

Troubleshooting with a USB cable and 12v power only plugged in is best. From there, we can make sure the computer is ready. The new Marlin only works with Platform io so we can start the testing there when everything is unplugged.

I am still very preoccupied with some pressing personal things for a few more days but I will check in as often as possible to see what we can do.

Okay just to put a pin in this one, the board checks out so we missed something on the computer side. Hard to say what it was though.

Todd, Thank you for all your patience while I was playing nurse for a few weeks. I will pack it up and ship it back, hopefully in about an hour.