Newb looking for some advice to get started

Long time lurker, looking to finally get started.

I am hoping that someone could make some recommendations, or point me in the direction of some good tutorials or documentation.

For the past several years I have had my eye on purchasing a CNC. Initially I loved the Maslow the price point was a key driver for me but as I am getting close to pulling the trigger and doing more homework I am finding that there are a lot of complaints about its accuracy, and the ability to get it dialed in to where it needs to be. I had also come across the MPCNC, and the lowrider2, and loved the design on the lowrider2.

With that said I am looking to build a lowrider2. The majority of the material that I am looking to work with is Coroplast, with some plywood, and MDF, maybe some acrylic.

Here is where I could use some help.

1. There are several motherboards offered on the site. Are these my only options? Are there alternatives? What are the typical drivers in choosing the right MB? I was looking at the RAMBO V1.4.
  2. I don’t have a 3DPrinter and have seen a post here or there commenting with broken parts. Is it easy to purchase one or two replacement parts? Or am I SOL and have to purchase a whole kit?
  3. Has anyone had the 3d Printed parts machined out of aluminum or other metal to prevent parts from breaking? Am I over thinking this?
  4. Software. As I am new to CNC what software is necessary and recommended? Are all of these offerings opensource? Or is there something that is tried and true that just works and that’s what I should use?
  5. I know that the router is quite loud. Has anyone built a enclosure around the Router to help muffle the sound?
  6. Is there any other information that after having built your setup you now say…I wish I would have known? Or I wish I had done this differently?

Thank you in advance. Your help and advice is much appreciated.

1. There are several motherboards offered on the site. Are these my only options? Are there alternatives? What are the typical drivers in choosing the right MB? I was looking at the RAMBO V1.4.

The Rambo is the longtime workhorse for the MPCNC…low failure rate, built-in drivers makes it potentially simpler, very fault tolerant of a users stupid mistakes wiring the board, etc. As for alternatives, just about any board that runs a 3D printer and can have the firmware configured or updated can be used for an MPCNC. The problem with alternatives is that V1 only maintains tested firmware for a selection of boards. You go outside that list, and you have to be the one to configure and flash the firmware. There are many topics on this forum dedicated to getting a specific board configured to run the MPCNC. They almost always succeed in the end, but it can be some work.

There are pluses and minuses between boards. Here is a forum topic on one such discussion between the Rambo 1.4 and the SKR Pro 1.2.

1. I don’t have a 3DPrinter and have seen a post here or there commenting with broken parts. Is it easy to purchase one or two replacement parts? Or am I SOL and have to purchase a whole kit?

The recent post about the broken part is the first such post I’ve seen on the forum. On the other hand I have broken a few parts through my own stupidity since I built my first MPCNC. Since Ryan provides all the STL files, in a non-Covid time, living in any larger town or city, I think it would be fairly easy to get a part reprinted. It is more of a struggle now, but Ryan is very supportive of this community.

1. Has anyone had the 3d Printed parts machined out of aluminum or other metal to prevent parts from breaking? Am I over thinking this?

Note that paying someone else to machine aluminum parts will quickly become more expensive than a decent, low-end 3D printer. A variety of upgraded LowRiders have come across the forum, but most of them are upgraded by the people who have the tools to manufacture the new parts.

1. Software. As I am new to CNC what software is necessary and recommended? Are all of these offerings opensource? Or is there something that is tried and true that just works and that’s what I should use?

There is no one set of software tools. A lot of people on this from use Inkscape for path authoring, EstlCam for CAM, and Repetier-Host to send the g-code to the control board. Here is the V1 reference for the software workflow, and here is a chart that a forum user provided that you might find useful.

1. I know that the router is quite loud. Has anyone built a enclosure around the Router to help muffle the sound?

Lots of enclosures documented on the forum. I built an enclosure for my machine, and while I like that it reduces the noise, the best thing for me was the reduced mess in the shop. Note that if you are going to be using a dust shoe with your machine, you have to mitigate the vacuum noise as well.

2 Likes

I would add that the bit in the material is quite loud too. A good set of ear muffs is a must. I can easily mill in the garage below my kid’s bedrooms at nap time. The sound is pretty consistent, unlike using a chop saw or something which goes on and off. My neighbors haven’t complained (and it is quieter than a lawn mower).

I am interested in how Coroplast works. Where I’ve seen that before, it was pretty easy to cut with just a knife, so I imagine you can push the speeds up pretty high. I am also curious what the intended projects are for that. It seems like it could be fun to make a few projects with a unique material like that. Maybe it would be better for some shop projects.

2 Likes

I would agree that I should be able to push speeds a bit higher. My application for coroplast is for sign and prop building. This crosses over to other hobbies of mine which is holiday light shows.

1 Like

Oh cool. I just installed permanent lights on my house:

Very cool. I use approximately 14k individually addressable pixels in my light display. But my roofline has been installed permanently as well.

Planning for an additional 10k pixels for this year. There are plenty of vendors that sell the props that I am looking to make, but shipping gets extremely costly. I also have a local farm that I help do a light show, and can utilize a cnc to make and sell to them.

1 Like

Sounds like a great plan. Helping a farm would be ideal because you want to have a lot of people enjoy it, but don’t necessarily want that many people driving by the house.