Long time lurker, looking to finally get started.
I am hoping that someone could make some recommendations, or point me in the direction of some good tutorials or documentation.
For the past several years I have had my eye on purchasing a CNC. Initially I loved the Maslow the price point was a key driver for me but as I am getting close to pulling the trigger and doing more homework I am finding that there are a lot of complaints about its accuracy, and the ability to get it dialed in to where it needs to be. I had also come across the MPCNC, and the lowrider2, and loved the design on the lowrider2.
With that said I am looking to build a lowrider2. The majority of the material that I am looking to work with is Coroplast, with some plywood, and MDF, maybe some acrylic.
Here is where I could use some help.
- There are several motherboards offered on the site. Are these my only options? Are there alternatives? What are the typical drivers in choosing the right MB? I was looking at the RAMBO V1.4.
- I don’t have a 3DPrinter and have seen a post here or there commenting with broken parts. Is it easy to purchase one or two replacement parts? Or am I SOL and have to purchase a whole kit?
- Has anyone had the 3d Printed parts machined out of aluminum or other metal to prevent parts from breaking? Am I over thinking this?
- Software. As I am new to CNC what software is necessary and recommended? Are all of these offerings opensource? Or is there something that is tried and true that just works and that’s what I should use?
- I know that the router is quite loud. Has anyone built a enclosure around the Router to help muffle the sound?
- Is there any other information that after having built your setup you now say…I wish I would have known? Or I wish I had done this differently?
Thank you in advance. Your help and advice is much appreciated.