Newb needs help w/changing configuration.h

So I ordered all the parts I could for my Lowrider 2 from V1 (parts kit was sold out).
I could NOT find 16 tooth pulleys that had shipping less than 2 months out.
I’ve been trolling the forum for months while deciding which DIY CNC to build. I found that 20 tooth pulleys CAN be used with modifications to the firmware. I found what changes need to be made and where, but for the life of me, I can’t find out HOW.
I’m wondering if I have to do a complete flash of the firmware using Arduino, or is there a way to simply “edit” the one line in the configuration.h file? (I’ve never done either) I apologize if this has been asked and answered already somewhere in the forum.
I DO intend to order 16 tooth pulleys and install them when they arrive, but my physical build is almost complete and I’m itching to get going.
Thanks in advance for any help!

You can send M92 X80 Y80, which will change the setting until Marlin restarts. You can send M500 to save any settings you’ve changed to EEPROM, which will make it persistent across restarts.

You can do all of that from Repetier Host, or any other console (octoprint, cncjs, pronterface, etc.).

Some settings can’t be changed through GCode like that, but there are a lot of settings that can. I think the most common things people might change are: Max feedrates, Max accelerations, Stepper driver current. These are all in the Configuration.h file, and when you flash it, they go into a sort of “defaults” area of memory. If you send M502, the stuff from the defaults gets put into the EEPROM, restoring the factory settings. There’s a lot you can learn by trolling the gcode docs on Marlin’s website too.

Have a lot of fun. Please share what you make. I look forward to seeing it.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the quick reply, Jeff!
I’ll try this first thing tomorrow.

2 Likes