Newcomer seeking wisdom lol

Hello all! Just discovered this cnc platform and I am very interested in it. However I am skittle confused. If I were to purchase the MPCNC parts kit, all I would lack would be the router itself, pipe, and whatever program I am going to use to design correct? Or what all will I need other than just the parts kit?

1 Like

You can buy the 3D printed parts from V1 or make them.

Don’t forget bits, and a surface to mount this on.

1 Like

Doesn’t the parts kit come with the 3D parts as well?

It may depend on which bundle you are buying. Can you post a screenshot of your cart?

Here is my cart

I am sorry. I might be too sleep deprived to get it. I see a $197 item and a total of $450. I am just not sure what’s in your cart. You might very well have it right.

Yeah, the cart has a bug right now. The total is right, but it doesn’t shoe the itemized prices correctly.

Wrt the software there is CAD, which you can find many free choices (inkscape, fusion 360, onshape). There is also the CAM component. Estlcam is the easiest to learn and is free to try, with a nagbox that you need to pay ($50, IIRC) to unlock. But you can use it for free, with all the features until then.

So I just need to know after I buy the kit, what else will I need? And will it work with easel?

You will probably want some end-mills. There’s a multi-pack (of 5 bits I believe) in the store as well. Personally I would recommend getting two of those.

You will also need some sort of table to mount it to and run it on. It seems that most folks build a dedicated work surface for the MPCNC.

Does it come with the router or will I need to get one

Generally the bit that comes with a router (if it comes with any at all) will not be suitable for the kind of operations the MPCNC will be doing. You will have a much better experience if you get some proper end-mills for this (single or double flute, up-cutting bits). This is the combo-pack I was referring to:

Also - just so we’re clear… You are aware that this is very much a Do It Yourself project, yes? It’s not really just a kit that you snap together and have a working machine. Even with the complete parts bundle there will be quite a bit of work requires to get everything working together. Not trying to scare you off, just want to make sure you’re heading into this with a bit of understanding on what you’re getting into… Ryan’s instructions (here: https://docs.v1engineering.com/) are good, but can’t cover every possible misstep.

Good luck with your build!

With the stock firmware it won’t work with Easel. I’m not even sure it works with rambo boards on any firmware.

1 Like

You will need to get one. The “standard” is the DeWalt DW660 in the US, although people have found success with any number of small, lightweight spindles, trim routers, and/or rotary tools, from water-cooled brushless spindles (most from China) down to various flavors of Dremels (I will be starting out with my Dremel 395). The DeWalt happens to hit a really good sweet spot of power, mass, price, and dependability/warranty. And the horrific things that Ryan and others are doing to theirs make it even more flexible (although they are voiding their warranties).

1 Like

While not absolutely needed I would suggest a touch screen, LCD or Pi4 (with fan and case for CNC.js). Personally I find the LCD with the control knob to be a pain to use. It was great for initial troubleshooting and getting the machine up and running.

You can always use repeater-host on a computer near the machine, I wanted something that didn’t need to be attached the hole time.