Next Zenxy build ideas

I think you need them slightly above the sand, parallel to it to cast shadows on the ridges to get the best effect.

This is just my “test” table. On the big build I am going to make it thick enough to add lights.

1 Like

+1 to this

How thick is acceptable? Top surface to bottom surface 1 inch? 1.5 inches?

1.5in or so is ideal.

I have a desk I like. I have this space next to the desk that is the problem.

I am pretty convinced right now that I am going to do this. I think that would be pretty fun.

@vicious1, do you know about how much room around the sand area I need? I don’t need it down to the 1/4", but I am debating sacrificing 6" to the sand area, vs. the drawers.

Footprint vs work area, or thickness?

Running to the hardware store be back in a bit.

Assembly is done (minus the belt).

Zen NeXtY has been what I’ve been calling it in my head pretty much as soon as I had any details on its development.

Mine (because of the extensive use of copper water pipe) has been Steampunk Zen.

I like it… “Zenexty” flows well

I’ve been giving a lot of thought to using one as a desk, but what kills it for me is the bar underneath. I can just see banging it with my knee, and then not only having the bruised knee, but a bent rail as well. Maybe if I fully enclose it, but then, like Jeff, that puts the top surface too far away from my lap. Maybe with a keyboard drawer. I like my monitor mounted a little higher anyway.

One of the design goals here (I’ve been told) was to be able to match the previous envelope. Looking at the beta STL files, it seems that the “no sand zone” is very much the same as the previous incarnation. I’m counting on that, since I’m using the same table to attach mine to, and I only have about 1/2" extra in the X dimension.

I may be alone in this, but name with “next” or “new” bug me because they will inevitably be the old version later.

Footprint vs work area.

Kinda like iPads😆

“New” for sure, or “Ultimate” too, if it’s not the final version of anything, and final is… Anyway, yeah, I get what you’re saying.

I describe my current coffee table to friends as a “Zenbot.” To differentiate it, maybe this one will be “Zenbot Evolved.” though that’s hardly a cool monniker, and loses the whole XY thing, which is still a good part of what makes the machine so cool.

Ultimately, once built and running, I’ll probably call it the same thing as the current one. “Time Toilet.”

1 Like

ZenXY2

or maybe it needs to be ZenX2y2

or simplified as Zen(XY)2

or sort of the 2000-ish theme of ZenXY360 or maybe ZenXY360

or maybe iZenXY

or ZenXtremeY

or ZenXY Zero

or ZenXY Now with Flavor Crystals.

or Z3|\|><'/ which is what some website said ZenXY converted to L33T speak would be.

1 Like

ZenXtremeY?

1 Like

Zen Duo

3 Likes

Inset ~92.5mm on all sides, at least 66mm deep+plus the steppers hang down more depending on type/size.

In-progress beta update.

You’re going to love this guys!

My printer is unfortunately slow. I’m working on (Among too many other things) the next iteration of my 3D printer which should be way faster. Therefore I’m still printing pieces (~3 hours to go), but overall, I have vey satisfactory results with the shuttle (or core, or whatever you want to call the piece that the magnet sits in) and the trucks. My stack of magnets fits into the shuttle very securely, and even if you (like me) have to use a stack of 1/8" disc magnets, they won’t protrude out enough to lose the top one. Obviously I still need to finish assembly and adjust, but at this stage, it’s looking great!

1 Like

Glad to hear it. Thanks for the update.

And even more important, thanks for jumping on this so quick. I was ready to wait a week or two.

Well, the print failed last night. Wouldn’t you know it… Loose grub screw. :sweat_smile: :joy: :rofl: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I got it restarted, and have the parts off this morning. One part cracked getting it off the bed, but I think it’s OK for testing. It’s not a stressed part, so I just stuffed a bit of epoxy into the crack. I’m re-printing the part, but will continue with this.

Biggest delay now is getting spacers in place because I’m using idlers for 6mm belt, instead of 10mm, and apparently more than half of my 5mm X 30mm screws are actually 5mm X 25mm, so I need to make a run to the nut & bolt place today

I think the shorties will work on most parts, you only need the long ones for the nuts and maybe the two wheels on the center?

Oh, no the clamps need long ones as well. Bummer