Noob question MPCNC

I am thinking of making a mpcnc (I am a newbie), I want to be able to use it to mill aluminum and wood, I know that for aluminum a smaller frame is recommended, but for wood I would like to have a work area of 60x120x20cm to be able to work 1/4 of sheet of material, I would like to know if it is possible for me to make my 60x60x20cm mpcnc and first mill half of a large piece and then move the wood and mill the other half, that is, to do the work in parts, is this possible?

Are those numbers in inches? you need to 20" of z?

I believe that’s called indexing or tiling, it’s possible.

Are cm

That makes more since.

20 cm (~8") of z is still quite a lot.

Re: Tiling

1 Like

Have you considered the Low Rider?

how much z would you recommend?

low rider is better for everything?

Give this page a read: https://docs.v1engineering.com/mpcnc/calculator/

https://www.v1engineering.com/assembly/machine-size/

It just might suit your needs better for larger pieces. Hopefully some who have one will comment on its aluminum milling ability.

1 Like

and the cost of doing it is similar, right?

oh i see 81mm is the best

AFAIK they should be relatively close but there are some folks here who have both and will hopefully chime in.

1 Like

I think 600x600mm should be doable for x and y. If you’re doing sheet good then 50-75mm should be plenty for z axis. My current mpcnc working area is approximately 600x450x70mm ( or for
the non metric speakers among us 24x18x2.75 inches)

1 Like

My lowrider is full 4’ by 8’ cutting area. Jeffe and Ryan’s are 2’ by 4’ I believe. I’ve only done a couple cuts that took the whole sheet, and could have done them as half sheet cuts. I just like the idea, and have the room. I had a 5’ square mpcnc before the lowrider, it worked okay with supports, but really, shouldn’t go too much larger than 2’.

1 Like

Mine is about 3’x4’. I still have a 36" round project in mind.

In the low rider the size matters a lot, I got a job to make 9 bedroom furniture and that could pay for my low rider so I thought about doing it with a full sheet, it would be a problem for aluminum

1 Like

Aluminum and the LR hasn’t really been tested. The common sense is that it will be tough. But I don’t think anyone has really pushed it like the MPCNC. The early consensus was, one small MPCNC for aluminum and one low rider for sheet goods.

2 Likes

Build one of each! I feel like a lot of us eventually end up doing that anyway.

3 Likes